FLSA Classification: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Takira Hill, Staff Accountant
Start date: September 2022
Location: Chicago, IL
Pay Range: $23 – $25 per hour is the hiring pay range (i.e. the range a candidate would be offered to start).
Despite decades of work and millions of dollars invested, the degree divide continues to be one of our nation’s most complex and critical injustices, with deep roots in systems of oppression and racism. Only 22% of students from low-income communities earn a college degree, compared to 67% of their peers from high-income areas.
COVID-19 further exposed and exacerbated inequity, with communities of color and those in low-income areas impacted at disproportionately high rates. We are looking for individuals to join us in our fight for equity during this extremely critical time.
- OneGoal has grown from a small afterschool program serving just 32 students in Chicago to a nationwide movement that is serving some 13,500 students in six communities.
- Our model, honed over 14 years, has three core differentiators: A rigorous, culturally relevant content and experience, cohorts of students who can support each other over the course of three years, and a teacher who supports our most vulnerable students’ long-term ambitions.
- 84% of OneGoal high school graduates enroll in a postsecondary institution and 75% of those who enroll persist one year after high school.
OneGoal is launching our 2025 Strategic Plan focused on improving our impact, scale, and sustainability. Our Controller will play an integral role in ensuring we are able to balance these three as we take on new and exciting opportunities to solve this problem at scale. By 2025, OneGoal Fellows will be on track to graduate at two times the rate of students from similar backgrounds. We will have successfully diversified our product offerings to increase equitable postsecondary advising across entire systems. And we will be ready to achieve impact at scale, responding to the massive injustice of the degree divide with a bold solution of equal force.
The Accounting Clerk is a member of the Finance and Operations team, which is charged with building and managing the systems, processes and policies necessary to become a scalable, sustainable, and enduring organization over the next five years. The accounting clerk plays a critical role in ensuring our day-to-day finance operations run smoothly, supporting the strength of our overall systems.This is a permanent, part-time role requiring up to 20 hours per week of work.
As the Accounting Clerk, your mission is to assist with the day-to-day accounting of the organization. Your primary responsibility will be to ensure the month-end close process is timely and accurate, including:
- Processing vendor bills and cash receipts, ensuring accuracy and timeliness
- Preparing and submitting monthly journal entries
- Preparing monthly reconciliations in an accurate and timely manner
Though the Accounting Clerk is likely to see himself/herself/themselves in the following examples, these are not requirements. These examples are designed to help you determine if this opportunity aligns with your own passion and purpose.
You are detail oriented.
- You believe in getting things right and being as accurate as possible.
- You adhere to deadlines and reliably deliver on schedule.
- You are a strong planner and are constantly assessing your priorities to lead and manage diverse projects, competing deadlines, and unexpected requests.
You communicate well.
- You let others speak and seek to understand their viewpoints while also speaking and writing clearly to get your point across.
- You maintain high standards of communication in all forms of communication. You ask questions when things aren’t clear.
You are highly organized and you adapt to change well.
- You understand the ebbs and flows of our work, and your ability to prioritize helps you maintain work-life balance.
- You understand that the needs of the organization and needs of our team will change as we grow and you are excited to pivot as our organizational priorities shift.
- Accounting or Finance Degree in progress
- Ability to work independently with good time management skills
- Strong attention to detail
This position requires that the employee be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 on or before the start date. Consistent with applicable laws, OneGoal will provide reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified employees and prospective employees with a disability (as defined by applicable law) or sincerely-held religious beliefs, provided that such accommodation would not result in an undue hardship on OneGoal.
Guided by a clear set of core values and beliefs, you will join an impressive group of more than 170 OneGoal staff across the country who believe in the untapped potential within students. The OneGoal team challenges themselves and others to regularly ask, “Is there a better way?”
The Tangible Good
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package* which includes medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability, life insurance, retirement matching, paid parental leave, and more. We also offer a generous paid time off policy, including 20 paid vacation days, holidays and 9 wellness days (flexible sick time).
*OneGoal reserves the right to change benefits at anytime according to business need.
You believe in people and the promise of humanity and are committed to equity and inclusion
You believe in an inclusive and culturally competent society and the essence of our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe that in order to create the change we seek, each person we hire brings a remarkable and diverse set of experiences, skills and characteristics that individually and collectively, will contribute to the radical change needed to move us towards a more equitable and just nation.
Throw Your Hat in the Ring
Please click here to complete an application, which includes attaching an updated resume and cover letter explaining your passion and alignment to this position.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to submit an application or to participate in the application or interview process, please reach out to our Human Assets Team to request an accommodation. Our Human Assets Team can be contacted at 773-321-2630 or HumanAssets@onegoalgraduation.org.
OneGoal is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of actual or perceived sex, race, color, ancestry, citizenship, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, disability (mental or physical), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical condition, parenthood, genetic characteristic or information, military or veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law.