Reports to: Chief Executive Officer, Melissa Connelly
Desired Start date: August/September 2022
Location: Required within an existing OneGoal site: California, Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York, Texas
Salary Range: $188,000-$198,000 is the hiring salary range (i.e. the range a candidate would be offered to start). Please note: OneGoal aligns salaries to Cost of Labor, so the actual salary offered would be dependent on the Cost of Labor in the candidate’s living location.
Despite decades of work and millions of dollars invested, the degree divide continues to be one of our nation’s most complex and critical injustices, with deep roots in systems of oppression and racism. Only 22% of students from low-income communities earn a college degree, compared to 67% of their peers from high-income areas.
COVID-19 further exposed and exacerbated inequity, with communities of color and those in low-income areas impacted at disproportionately high rates. We are looking for individuals to join us in our fight for equity during this extremely critical time.
- OneGoal has grown from a small afterschool program serving just 32 students in Chicago to a nationwide movement that is serving some 13,500 students in six communities.
- Our model, honed over 14 years, has three core differentiators: A rigorous, culturally relevant content and experience, cohorts of students who can support each other over the course of three years, and a teacher who supports our most vulnerable students’ long-term ambitions.
- 84% of OneGoal high school graduates enroll in a postsecondary institution and 75% of those who enroll persist one year after high school.
The Chief Regional Operations Officer (CROO) is a strategic, values-driven, system leader. This individual will report directly to the CEO, Melissa Connelly, and will play a key role on the senior leadership team to influence the overall vision, strategy, and health of the organization. The CROO will be uniquely responsible for managing and developing Executive Directors, ensuring strong systems-level programmatic, financial, and staff engagement outcomes for OneGoal’s six regions, and the effective coordination of regional operations and all other national functional teams.
More specifically, this individual’s responsibilities will include:
(1) Managing and Developing Executive Directors to successful execute the organizational strategy
- Setting and maintaining a clear vision of success for the role and evolving the role in alignment to our 2025 Strategic Plan
- Attracting and retaining talent
- Facilitating leadership development opportunities
- Providing ongoing direct coaching and support, especially as it pertains to excellence in program, development, and team leadership
(2) Ensuring strong systems-level programmatic, financial, and staff engagement outcomes for OneGoal’s six regions
- Ensure each region has a multi-year strategy and annual plan, with SMART goals to deliver on OneGoal’s vision and 2025 Strategic Plan
- Ensure each region has a budget (revenue/expense plan) that supports their strategy and sets them up to achieve financial sustainability and scalability over the long-term.
- Lead a performance management process that seeks to resolve the largest implementation and execution challenges
- Strengthen the partnership amongst the six regions through ongoing communication, perspective gathering, and problem solving, in order to improve cross-functional collaboration
- Lead regional operations to support the execution of program and development programs, initiatives, and best practices.
(3) Effective coordination and collaboration of regional operations and all other national functional teams
- Contributing to the effectiveness of our senior leadership team by upholding executive expectations and practices
- Facilitating work between other Chiefs and Executive Directors to ensure strategic alignment
- Coordinating change management so that Executive Directors, and ultimately their teams more broadly, know what to expect, when to expect it, and what is expected of them
- Strengthening the partnership between the six regions and national teams leadership through ongoing communication, perspective gathering, and problem solving, in order to improve cross-functional collaboration
The Chief Regional Operations Officer is likely to see himself/herself/themselves in the following examples, as they are designed to help you determine if this opportunity aligns with your own passion, purpose, skills, and experiences.
You believe deeply in our Fellows and their ability to achieve their greatest postsecondary aspirations.
- You believe that our Fellows face real systemic barriers to completing a rigorous postsecondary program, and that empowering their families, their teachers and themselves to own their unique path will help them to overcome those barriers.
- You have a deep conviction in the power of our young people and our partners. In many ways, the Chief Regional Operations Officer will succeed based on their ability to live out our core values and engage in their work in a way that is rooted in equity, focused on excellence, constantly learning and operating as a truly exceptional partner.
You have a proven track-record of success in leading a team.
- You regularly exceed your goals and where you fall short, you curate robust learnings and insights.
- You demonstrate strengths in setting a vision and direction, influencing and managing others to outcomes, assembling and coaching effective teams, and thinking at an executive level.
- You deeply understand the role of a regional executive director, including the competing priorities, high expectations and cadence of work.
- You have context and experience leading or managing programmatic and development work.
- You value and understand the importance of financial sustainability including short-term revenue and expense planning, and long-term financial planning. You feel confident in holding others accountable to these as foundational and enabling conditions to regional success.
- You lead by understanding the perspective of others. You consistently demonstrate a strong understanding of the dynamics of the broader environment, including contexts and nuances that may influence decision making. You serve as a strong model or resource for others.
You are excited about leading change.
- You see change management as a key piece of your role, a crucial piece of any project or initiative and something that you are invested in leading.
- You enjoy coaching others to lead change management and see it as critical to your success.
- You can identify the key stakeholders (internal or external) in any given situation, and can tailor your approach to change management to fit their specific context and motivators.
You operate as a values-based organizational leader.
- You strive to model our core values, and others look to you as an exemplar of cultural leadership.
- You embrace and understand the value of engaging with leaders and staff-members at various levels, as well as work within leadership groups as a champion of our regions.
- In the face of significant challenges, others look to you for stability and encouragement.
- Lived shared experiences with our Fellows (Preferred)
- Minimum of 10 years work experience
- Experience as an Executive Director and/or having led large/multi-layered teams (Required)
- Travel as needed to execute the work (25-35% of time)
This position requires that the employee be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 on or before the start date. Consistent with applicable laws, OneGoal will provide reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified employees and prospective employees with a disability (as defined by applicable law) or sincerely-held religious beliefs, provided that such accommodation would not result in an undue hardship on OneGoal.
Guided by a clear set of core values and beliefs, you will join an impressive group of more than 170 OneGoal staff across the country who believe in the untapped potential within students. The OneGoal team challenges themselves and others to regularly ask, “Is there a better way?”
The Tangible Good
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package* which includes medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability, life insurance, retirement matching, paid parental leave, and more. We also offer a generous paid time off policy, including 20 paid vacation days, holidays and 9 wellness days (flexible sick time).
*OneGoal reserves the right to change benefits at any time according to business need.
You believe in people and the promise of humanity and are committed to equity and inclusion
You believe in an inclusive and culturally competent society and the essence of our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe that in order to create the change we seek, each person we hire brings a remarkable and diverse set of experiences, skills and characteristics that individually and collectively, will contribute to the radical change needed to move us towards a more equitable and just nation.
Throw Your Hat in the Ring
Please use the “Apply For This Job Now” link at the bottom of this page to complete an application, which includes attaching an updated resume and brief cover letter explaining your passion and alignment to this position.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to submit an application or to participate in the application or interview process, please reach out to our Human Assets Team to request an accommodation. Our Human Assets Team can be contacted at HumanAssets@onegoalgraduation.org.
OneGoal is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of actual or perceived sex, race, color, ancestry, citizenship, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, disability (mental or physical), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical condition, parenthood, genetic characteristic or information, military or veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law.