FLSA Classification: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Cori Mykoff, Senior Director of Development, Massachusetts
Desired Start date: September 2022 or earlier; flexible
Salary Range: $59,000-$61,000 is the hiring salary range (i.e. the range a candidate would be offered to start).
Despite decades of work and millions of dollars invested, the degree divide continues to be one of our nation’s most complex and critical injustices, with deep roots in systems of oppression and racism. Only 22% of students from low-income communities earn a college degree, compared to 67% of their peers from high-income areas. COVID-19 further exposed and exacerbated inequity, with communities of color and those in low-income areas impacted at disproportionately high rates. We are looking for individuals to join us in our fight for equity during this extremely critical time.
- OneGoal has grown from a small afterschool program serving just 32 students in Chicago to a nationwide movement that is serving some 14,000 students across the country.
- Our model, honed over 15 years, has three core differentiators: a rigorous, culturally relevant content and experience, cohorts of students who can support each other over the course of three years, and a teacher who supports our most vulnerable students’ long-term ambitions.
- 84% of OneGoal high school graduates enroll in a postsecondary institution and 75% of those who enroll persist one year after high school.
About OneGoal Massachusetts
Massachusetts leads the nation in most educational outcomes, yet it is also home to some of the starkest racial and economic disparities in public education. We believe that OneGoal is and will continue to be an integral part of the solution. In just five years, our Massachusetts region has grown to serve more than 1,000 Fellows across 15 high schools in 11 districts and 14 postsecondary partners – and demand for our program is growing. For more information about the Massachusetts Region, click here.
The Manager of Development oversees cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of a portfolio composed primarily of foundation and corporate funders. They steward volunteers and other supporters from these institutions, deploying virtual and in-person volunteer and program engagement opportunities. They manage OneGoal Massachusetts’ development operations, including gift and database management, and they lend strategy and execution of OneGoal Massachusetts’ full fundraising efforts.
This role reports to the Senior Director of Development, and works closely with the Executive Director. The Manager of Development will also work in partnership with a contract grant writer.
The Manager of Development is responsible for the following key strands of work to support the Massachusetts Development team’s ability to meet our ambitious goals. The core responsibilities include:
- Gift and database management
- Record charitable donations properly and in a timely manner
- Produce tax-appropriate acknowledgment letters
- Produce welcome letters for new donors
- Support additional new and returning donor outreach
- Creating weekly internal progress-to-goal reports
- Portfolio management, organizational donors
- Support the Executive Director and Senior Director of Development in direct stewardship and cultivation of institutional (corporate and foundation) donors
- Maintain strong relationships with institutional donors
- Virtual and in-person engagement opportunities
- Support the collection and maintenance of career-focused videos from volunteers
- Plan and executing classroom site visits for donors
- Support annual Personal Statement Conferences — events in which volunteers assist students with college essays
- Support additional donor engagement events
- Grants program management
- Oversee the grants program, including managing the work of a part-time grant writer, and ensuring that all grants and reports are accurate, influential, and submitted on time
- Work with the part-time grant writer to identify, prospect, and research new potential institutional funders
- Work closely with program, partnerships, and other team members to ensure the sharing of accurate program data and stories
- Work closely with the finance team to ensure the accurate reporting of grant finances
- Additional special projects as assigned
- Prepare logistics for, attending, and recording notes for quarterly board meetings
- Support the Massachusetts program and partnerships team during all-staff events
- Other duties as assigned
Though the Manager of Development is likely to see themselves in the following examples, these are not requirements. These examples are designed to help you determine if this opportunity aligns with your own passion and purpose.
You believe deeply in our Fellows and their ability to graduate from college.
- You believe that our Fellows face real systemic barriers to college graduation, and that empowering their families, their teachers and themselves to own their unique path will help them to overcome those barriers.
You are organized and have a keen attention to detail.
- You’re proactive in establishing personal systems and processes to ensure your ability to keep track of high volumes of information, to easily access it and to use that information to make data-informed decisions.
- You are a strong planner and are constantly assessing your priorities to manage self/up/out on diverse projects, against competing deadlines and around unanticipated requests. This allows you to be responsive to the needs of others and solve problems as they arise.
You are a compelling communicator, and this talent is rooted in your beliefs.
- You understand others’ perspectives and motivations and adjust your messages, approach, and design based on your audience.
- Your written and verbal communication shines for all audiences.
- You adapt messages to different audiences in order to inspire stakeholders.
- You share information in a way that is clear and direct; and allows space for the audience to engage.
- You serve as an ambassador for OneGoal Massachusetts.
You value working collaboratively and innovatively.
- You constantly strive to learn from and share learnings with your teammates, no matter your current knowledge or experience.
- You know when and how to engage other key stakeholders that have the insight and positional authority to help you and others overcome obstacles and seize viable beneficial opportunities in a timely way.
- You do not operate as a blind executor of pre-existing practices; instead, you thoughtfully evaluate the OneGoal program and identify ways to elevate our program’s effectiveness.
- Lived experience of the Fellows we serve (Preferred)
- At least one year of relevant experience, either in non-profit fundraising or in equivalent positions with transferable skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Detail orientation and a team-focused philosophy to work
- Some travel throughout Massachusetts for meetings with donors and other stakeholders will be required
This position requires that the employee be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 on or before the start date. Consistent with applicable laws, OneGoal will provide reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified employees and prospective employees with a disability (as defined by applicable law) or sincerely-held religious beliefs, provided that such accommodation would not result in an undue hardship on OneGoal.
Guided by a clear set of core values and beliefs, you will join an impressive group of more than 150 OneGoal staff across the country who believe in the untapped potential within students. The OneGoal team challenges themselves and others to regularly ask, “Is there a better way?”
The Tangible Good
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package* which includes medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability, life insurance, retirement matching, paid parental leave, and more. We also offer a generous paid time off policy, including 20 paid vacation days, holidays and 9 wellness days (flexible sick time).
*OneGoal reserves the right to change benefits at any time according to business need.
You believe in people and the promise of humanity and are committed to equity and inclusion
You believe in an inclusive and culturally competent society and the essence of our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe that in order to create the change we seek, each person we hire brings a remarkable and diverse set of experiences, skills and characteristics that individually and collectively, will contribute to the radical change needed to move us towards a more equitable and just nation.
Throw Your Hat in the Ring
Please use the “Apply For This Job Now” link at the bottom of this page to complete an application, which includes attaching an updated resume and brief cover letter explaining your passion and alignment to this position.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to submit an application or to participate in the application or interview process, please reach out to our Human Assets Team to request an accommodation. Our Human Assets Team can be contacted at 773-321-2630 or HumanAssets@onegoalgraduation.org.
OneGoal is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of actual or perceived sex, race, color, ancestry, citizenship, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, disability (mental or physical), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical condition, parenthood, genetic characteristic or information, military or veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law.