Position: Development Manager
Position Type: Internal-External
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Reports to: Development Director
Start date: November 2023
Location: Houston, TX
Application Date: November 19, 2023
Salary Range: $68,000-73,600 is the hiring salary range (i.e. the range a candidate would be offered to start)
OneGoal transforms postsecondary advising and support so that every student can define their own future. Together with our partners, we’re building a movement to close the opportunity gap. We work side-by-side with partner schools and districts to build their knowledge and capacity. The result is more equitable and effective support for all students. Our unique approach, honed over 15 years, prioritizes strong human relationships. And it’s proven to deliver real student impact. 81% of OneGoal high school graduates enroll in a postsecondary institution, and 73% of those students persist one year after high school graduation. An independent study by the University of Chicago found that OneGoal students are about 40% more likely to earn their postsecondary degrees than students from similar backgrounds. We are looking for individuals to join us in our pursuit of equity.
The Development Manager is responsible for the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of a portfolio comprised primarily of annual fund-level individual and corporate givers, and will support the portfolios of the Senior Director of Development and Executive Director. They are also responsible for strategic planning, maintaining, and executing an engagement plan(including individual giving and corporate events); donor prospecting and qualifying; and lifting up OneGoal’s message through outreach while supporting the strategy and execution of OneGoal’s full fundraising efforts.
The Development Manager is responsible for the following key strands of work to support the Development team’s ability to meet our ambitious goals. As the Development Manager, you will:
Manage a portfolio of annual fund-level individual donors, soliciting annual fund-level individual donors to support overall revenue target (30% of your role)
- Strong, detail-oriented management of portfolio of annual fund-level individual donors through developing and setting strategies for giving, ongoing analysis, progress to goal review and adjustments, and ensuring all data is up to date for donors in your portfolio
- Build strong individual annual fund-level pipeline for future years to ensure long-term success
- Build strong, lasting relationships with donors in your portfolio
- Work with regional and national development teams to secure cross-team funding partnerships
Contribute to the strategy for and execution of OneGoal’s annual and multi-year vision for individual giving, resulting in raising a total of $1M from individual and corporate donors (30% of your role)
- Support Individual and corporate fundraising events from brainstorming to strategizing to execution and follow-up
- Find, research, and collaborate with the Development Team (DT) to grade and create engagements for new potential individual giving donors
- Create meeting preps and follow-ups for all individual donor meetings in partnership with solicitation managers
Engage donors in steady communication with OneGoal in accordance with donor engagement strategy and execution (20% of your role)
- In partnership with the Development Team (DT), create a plan for 30/60/90 day outreach for OneGoal donors, with differentiation for new, renewal, and returned/lapsed donors
- In partnership with DT, plan and execute ongoing donor engagement that accounts for differentiated levels of giving, and supports donor retention
- Support solicitation managers by ensuring that engagement planning/donor lifecycle tasks are being executed in a timely manner; update tasks accordingly in OneGoal’s CRM database (including when you are the solicitation manager)
- Support donor touchpoints through creative outreach planning that takes into account the DT events calendar; outreach/communications calendar; and other time-bound strategic opportunities for communication
Create consistent, effective Development-focused mass marketing and messaging (10% of your role)
- Translate messaging strategy and key messages documents into usable template documents, such as pitch decks and outreach emails, including new data
- Ensure individual giving outreach materials, such as pitch decks and talking point memos, reflect new messaging as it is updated by the National Marketing and Communications team, and/or DT, including new data
- Work closely with the DT to ensure messaging activation lines up with the Development Language Bank for grants, including data
Engage in personal learning and support team culture (10% of your role)
- Work to achieve meaningful outcomes, contribute to building a strong team and culture, actively engage in all OneGoal regional and national spaces, and commit to your own learning + development aligned to our Core Values.
Your impact: OneGoal will maintain strong relationships with its supporters through regular and individualized outreach and by making use of OneGoal’s messaging strategy. OneGoal will meet and focus on supporters who share a passion for our mission and a commitment to our values, and will engage directly with this community through engagement opportunities. As a result, OneGoal will reach or exceed its fundraising goals, including its individual giving goals.
Though the Development Manager is likely to see themselves in the following examples, these are not requirements. These examples are designed to help you determine if this opportunity aligns with your own passion and purpose.
You love the big picture and are obsessed with the details.
- You’re able to easily navigate between high-level/big picture strategy and the day-to-day details that keep a team running and executing on key outcomes.
- You love managing the details and have systems/processes that ensure that things don’t fall through the cracks and that you consistently have a clear picture of where things are relative to short- and long-term goals.
Execution is your wheelhouse.
- You get things done. People know you as someone they can depend on to come through for them. You are trusted by your colleagues because you follow through on your commitments and you circle back and close the loop on communication cycles.
- You’ve demonstrated the ability to work diligently towards your goals and can comfortably pivot and try new strategies when challenges arise or priorities shift.
- Even though you are highly effective at executing, you don’t go at it alone. You know that collaboration and teamwork is key to innovation and you are comfortable investing people in a project and leading a project team towards a rigorous execution of your plan.
You are a compelling and effective communicator.
- You have tremendous ability to adapt messages to different audiences in order to inspire stakeholders.
- You discern the appropriate mode of communication, depending on the situation and audience, to build champions and convert skeptics.
- You serve as an ambassador for OneGoal throughout the region, if applicable.
You believe deeply in the brilliance of all students and in their ability to earn a postsecondary degree.
- You believe that our Fellows face real systemic barriers to postsecondary completion and that empowering families, teachers, and students to own their unique path will help them to overcome those barriers.
- Lived experience of the Fellows we serve (Preferred)
- At least three years of relevant experience, either in non-profit fundraising or in equivalent positions with clearly transferable skills
- Experience with direct solicitation of donors
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Detail orientation and a team-focused philosophy to work
- Some travel throughout Houston for meetings with donors and other stakeholders will be required. Access to a car is not required, but preferred.
This position requires that the employee be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 on or before the start date. Consistent with applicable laws, OneGoal will provide reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified employees and prospective employees with a disability (as defined by applicable law) or sincerely-held religious beliefs, provided that such accommodation would not result in an undue hardship on OneGoal.
Thinking Of Applying?
Research shows that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. If you are excited about the role and see connection with what we are looking for, but don’t meet every single requirement, we’d encourage you to apply anyway. Please click “Apply For This Job Now” below to complete an application.
Guided by a clear set of core values and beliefs, you will join an impressive group of more than 200 OneGoal staff across the country who believe in the untapped potential within students. The OneGoal team challenges themselves and others to regularly ask, “Is there a better way?” You believe in an inclusive and culturally competent society and the essence of our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe that in order to create the change we seek, each person we hire brings a remarkable and diverse set of experiences, skills and characteristics that individually and collectively, will contribute to the radical change needed to move us towards a more equitable and just nation.
The Tangible Good
OneGoal offers competitive compensation based on the market for nonprofits our size. Our benefits package* includes: over eight weeks of paid time off (or 43 business days), between vacation days, wellness time, and holidays; paid medical or parental leaves should you have need; medical, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability, and life insurance; as well as a 401(k) with a 3% match.
We believe in compensating staff members fairly in relation to each other, their qualifications, and their impact on behalf of the organization, and take internal and external equity seriously. Given our commitment to equity, OneGoal does not negotiate salary offers; instead each salary offer is determined carefully using external and internal benchmarking. You will have an opportunity to discuss salary in more detail after you begin the hiring process.
*OneGoal reserves the right to change benefits at any time according to business needs.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to submit an application or to participate in the application or interview process, please reach out to our Human Assets Team to request an accommodation. Our Human Assets Team can be contacted at 773-321-2630 or HumanAssets@onegoalgraduation.org.
OneGoal is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of actual or perceived sex, race, color, ancestry, citizenship, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, disability (mental or physical), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical condition, parenthood, genetic characteristic or information, military or veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law.