Position: Director of Program Innovation, Chicago region
Position Type: Internal-External
Reports to: Lina Jean Fritz, Managing Director of Program Innovation (MDPI), (Chicago)
Desired Start date: February 2023
Location: Chicago, IL
Salary Range: $72,000-$74,000 is the hiring salary range (i.e. the range a candidate would be offered to start)
Despite decades of work and millions of dollars invested, the degree divide continues to be one of our nation’s most complex and critical injustices, with deep roots in systems of oppression and racism. Only 22% of students from low-income communities earn a college degree, compared to 67% of their peers from high-income areas.
COVID-19 further exposed and exacerbated inequity, with communities of color and those in low-income areas impacted at disproportionately high rates. We are looking for individuals to join us in our fight for equity during this extremely critical time.
- OneGoal has grown from a small afterschool program serving just 32 students in Chicago to a nationwide movement that is serving some 12,500 students in six communities.
- Our model, honed over 14 years, has three core differentiators: A rigorous, culturally relevant content and experience, cohorts of students who can support each other over the course of three years, and a teacher who supports our most vulnerable students’ long-term ambitions.
- 88% of OneGoal high school graduates enroll in a postsecondary institution and 79% of those who enroll persist one year after high school.
As the Director of Program Innovation, you will help the Chicago Innovation Team (CIT) design, test, and iterate on high opportunity solutions in our region to evolve and transform our program to achieve impact at scale, ultimately reaching more youth. You will build partnerships with key stakeholders to help onboard new pilots, test and implement new program offerings, and offboard old pilots. You support a user-centered design process by gathering internal and external research, synthesizing rich data, and formulating strategies and recommendations that feed ideas and new solutions. You are also responsible for codifying promising learnings and publishing knowledge at the end of each implementation cycle in order to improve our users’ experience and accelerate our organization’s ability to close the degree divide.
You will do this by executing on:
Pilot Onboarding: Support the Managing Director of Program Innovation to onboard a new pilot that will help our region transition from a city to a statewide region. (40% in year 1, 70% in year 2))
- Conduct research on the local and statewide educational landscape at the secondary and postsecondary level to inform our growth strategy.
- Build systems, structures, and communications materials needed to execute our growth strategy.
- Support the execution of a go-to-market strategy that drives our transition to a statewide region with new program offerings.
- Collaborate cross-organizationally with internal teams to ensure that learning is being effectively transferred and institutionalized in support of strong change management.
Pilot Offboarding: Support the wrap up of the Summer Hub pilot. (25% in year 1, 5% in year 2)
- Support the final stages of technical implementation of our text campaign and hybrid advising services.
- Work alongside national and regional teams to ensure our region’s digital platform can transition smoothly and intentionally to the right teams.
Pilot Codification: Develop systems and document learnings to ensure we are able to retain and apply new knowledge for the benefit of our broader organizational mission (25%)
- Rigorously document technical specifications and processes for pilots after testing is complete to support the transition of a pilot from the testing phase to the institutionalization phase.
- Create visually engaging and easily digestible content that tell our story of impact.
- Communicate pilot outcomes and learnings and provide clear rationale for recommendations.
- Lived experience of the Fellows we serve (Preferred)
- Experience in complex, large-scale project management required
- Experience or interest in sales, growth, and partnership strategy
- Comfort and experience with learning new technologies
- Proficient in data collection, processing, and analysis to inform your work and tell a story
- Experience or interest in creative and visual storytelling (graphics, data visualization, videos)
Though the Director of Program Innovation is likely to see himself/herself/themselves in the following examples, these are not requirements. These examples are designed to help you determine if this opportunity aligns with your own passion and purpose.
You believe deeply in our Fellows and their ability to achieve their postsecondary dreams.
- You believe that our Fellows face real systemic barriers to achieving their greatest postsecondary aspirations, and that empowering their families, their teachers, and themselves to own their unique path will help them to overcome those barriers.
You are a compelling and effective communicator.
- You have the ability to adapt messages to different audiences in order to inspire stakeholders.
- You discern the appropriate mode of communication to build investment, depending on the situation and audience
You are a relationship builder.
- You cultivate relationships with the understanding that our students are best served when we collaborate to meet all of their needs.
- You are both humble and optimistic about the role OneGoal can play within the education system and postsecondary landscape, operating with a commitment to serving more students in their pursuit of postsecondary pathways.
- You strive to build strong relationships and identify the interests and motivations of a diverse set of stakeholders in service to our collective impact.
You are okay “in the gray.”
- You know that in innovative work, the rules are never set in stone, and you are excited to be a part of clarifying ambiguity through a test-iterate approach when working to develop solutions.
- You make connections, determine fits, and build plans that are responsive to interlocking and evolving challenges and opportunities.
- Contingency-planning and problem-solving excite you, and working to streamline and improve systems gives you energy.
You are a strategic and thoughtful project manager who effectively moves work forward.
- You can manage both the details and the big picture view of a project and clarify the roles and responsibilities that each teammate plays.
- You are organized and thorough in managing team execution even outside the lines of formal authority.
- You know when and how to engage other key stakeholders that have the insight and positional authority to help you gather input and overcome obstacles.
- You are driven both by data and experience, recognizing that decision-making and strategy require evidence as well as a drive to dream big. You thoughtfully evaluate your current approach and identify ways to elevate our program’s effectiveness through constant self-reflection.
This position requires that the employee be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 on or before the start date. Consistent with applicable laws, OneGoal will provide reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified employees and prospective employees with a disability (as defined by applicable law) or sincerely-held religious beliefs, provided that such accommodation would not result in an undue hardship on OneGoal.
Guided by a clear set of core values and beliefs, you will join an impressive group of more than 170 OneGoal staff across the country who believe in the untapped potential within students. The OneGoal team challenges themselves and others to regularly ask, “Is there a better way?”
The Tangible Good
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package* which includes medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability, life insurance, retirement matching, paid parental leave, and more. We also offer a generous paid time off policy, including 20 paid vacation days, holidays and 9 wellness days (flexible sick time).
*OneGoal reserves the right to change benefits at anytime according to business need.
You believe in people and the promise of humanity and are committed to equity and inclusion
You believe in an inclusive and culturally competent society and the essence of our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe that in order to create the change we seek, each person we hire brings a remarkable and diverse set of experiences, skills and characteristics that individually and collectively, will contribute to the radical change needed to move us towards a more equitable and just nation.
Throw Your Hat in the Ring.
Please use the “Apply For This Job Now” link at the bottom of this page to complete an application.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to submit an application or to participate in the application or interview process, please reach out to our Human Assets Team to request an accommodation. Our Human Assets Team can be contacted at 773-321-2630 or HumanAssets@onegoalgraduation.org.
OneGoal is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of actual or perceived sex, race, color, ancestry, citizenship, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, disability (mental or physical), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical condition, parenthood, genetic characteristic or information, military or veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law.