Reports to: Mason Blenkhorn, Senior Director of Reporting and Analysis, National
Desired Start date: October 2022
Location: Preferred within a OneGoal region: Atlanta, GA; Chicago, IL; Houston, TX; Boston, MA; New York City, NY; Bay Area, CA, but flexible within the following states: Alabama, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Washington D.C., Wisconsin
Salary Range:$71,000-82,000 is the hiring salary range (i.e. the range a candidate would be offered to start), based on a Chicago Cost of Labor. Please note: OneGoal aligns salaries to Cost of Labor, so the actual salary offered would be dependent on the Cost of Labor in the candidate’s living location.
Despite decades of work and millions of dollars invested, the degree divide continues to be one of our nation’s most complex and critical injustices, with deep roots in systems of oppression and racism. Only 22% of students from low-income communities earn a college degree, compared to 67% of their peers from high-income areas.
COVID-19 further exposed and exacerbated inequity, with communities of color and those in low-income areas impacted at disproportionately high rates. We are looking for individuals to join us in our fight for equity during this extremely critical time.
- OneGoal has grown from a small afterschool program serving just 32 students in Chicago to a nationwide movement that is serving some 13,500 students in six communities.
- Our model, honed over 14 years, has three core differentiators: A rigorous, culturally relevant content and experience, cohorts of students who can support each other over the course of three years, and a teacher who supports our most vulnerable students’ long-term ambitions.
- 84% of OneGoal high school graduates enroll in a postsecondary institution and 75% of those who enroll persist one year after high school.
OneGoal is launching our 2025 Strategic Plan focused on improving our impact, scale, and sustainability. Our Controller will play an integral role in ensuring we are able to balance these three as we take on new and exciting opportunities to solve this problem at scale. By 2025, OneGoal Fellows will be on track to graduate at two times the rate of students from similar backgrounds. We will have successfully diversified our product offerings to increase equitable postsecondary advising across entire systems. And we will be ready to achieve impact at scale, responding to the massive injustice of the degree divide with a bold solution of equal force.
OneGoal is seeking an Analytics Engineer to continue the evolution and modernization of our data infrastructure. Your role involves translating business requirements to develop clean, transformed data using industry best practices (version control, testing, documentation, etc.) from our AWS/PostgreSQL enterprise data warehouse to our end users. These datasets are used to build data products that drive action towards OneGoal’s short and long term priorities. This role will be critical in our path to achieve our vision of analytics for everyone: all staff members will have the skills, knowledge, and tools to use quantitative and qualitative data to make decisions and take actions that have a positive impact on the Fellows, Schools and Districts we serve.
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Define requirements and build data infrastructure (60%)
- Design, develop, and document certified data sets built from our PostgreSQL enterprise data warehouse to be used in analytics products utilizing tools such as DBT
- Write production-quality SQL code with an eye towards scalability, maintainability, and performance
- Partner with our staff to develop approaches for finding, collecting, and using data
- Partner with our data warehouse development team to collaboratively learn and apply our approach to development
- Advocate for improvements and execute on those in our data infrastructure like data quality and performance
- Translate business requirements across a variety of functions into technical requirements
- Develop analytics products from our product backlog
- Integration of data into our analytics products
- Propose changes to our Schemas to expand the Data Warehouse’s capabilities. Assess query patterns, identify bottlenecks, optimize performance
- Develop metrics (20%)
- Gather requirements and develop well-scoped data products capable of answering an appropriate range of high level business questions
- Develop, test, and document metrics based on business requirements including aggregations on raw data
- Evaluate our current approach to metrics and propose improvements to the process
- Promote Analytics System Health (20%)
- Address any incoming data quality issues/inquiries while building in automated checks, feedback mechanisms, and safeguards
- Propose and implement approach for categorizing and prioritizing data quality metrics
- Develop data health metrics
- Document core elements of OneGoal’s analytics stack
The Analytics Engineer is likely to see himself/herself/themselves in the following examples as they are designed to help you determine if this opportunity aligns with your own passion, purpose, skills, and experiences.
You are a puzzle-solver.
- You like to explore and build innovative approaches to solve challenges in front of you.
- You take time to explore how scalable and sustainable your solutions are, you think not just about right now, but what it will look like in the future.
- You know there are often multiple solutions that can solve a puzzle and you like to weigh the options and get feedback to find the right solution. This excites you to look at the options and recommend our path forward.
You believe deeply in our Fellows (students) and their ability to graduate from a postsecondary institution.
- You believe that our Fellows face real systemic barriers to postsecondary completion, and that empowering their families, their teachers and themselves to own their unique path will help them to overcome those barriers.
- You have audacious hope for a future where every young person in America will have a real opportunity to complete their greatest postsecondary aspiration – and the life that comes with it.
You are a continuous learner.
- You put energy into learning, collaboration and innovation, always asking the question “is there a better way?” and being willing to try something new.
- You ask questions and proactively get feedback, and listen. You know that a key to growth is to learn from previous challenges.
You understand and know that data is powerful, complex, and nuanced.
- You believe that the insights that come from data are essential in empowering our Fellows (students) and all their partners in this work.
- You also know that data and insights come in both qualitative and quantitative formats. All types of data can be valuable and are important in informing our strategy.
- 2+ years of experience developing queries using SQL in a similar/adjacent role
- Must have understanding of data warehouse architecture and best practices
- Deep understanding of SQL, writing complex queries and/or stored procedures
- Experience using PostgreSQL or similar platform
- Experience translating business needs/requirements into scalable data products
- Bias towards solutions that scale and are well documented
- Strong desire to improve data model, data flow, and data quality
- (Preferred) Lived experience of the Fellows we serve
- (Preferred) Experience building data pipelines, transformations and data modeling
- (Preferred) Experience with DBT and Python
- (Optional) Experience with Airflow, BI tools like Tableau or Power BI, R or other statistical software
This position requires that the employee be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 on or before the start date. Consistent with applicable laws, OneGoal will provide reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified employees and prospective employees with a disability (as defined by applicable law) or sincerely-held religious beliefs, provided that such accommodation would not result in an undue hardship on OneGoal.
Guided by a clear set of core values and beliefs, you will join an impressive group of more than 170 OneGoal staff across the country who believe in the untapped potential within students. The OneGoal team challenges themselves and others to regularly ask, “Is there a better way?”
The Tangible Good
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package* which includes medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability, life insurance, retirement matching, paid parental leave, and more. We also offer a generous paid time off policy, including 20 paid vacation days, holidays and 9 wellness days (flexible sick time).
*OneGoal reserves the right to change benefits at anytime according to business need.
You believe in people and the promise of humanity and are committed to equity and inclusion
You believe in an inclusive and culturally competent society and the essence of our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe that in order to create the change we seek, each person we hire brings a remarkable and diverse set of experiences, skills and characteristics that individually and collectively, will contribute to the radical change needed to move us towards a more equitable and just nation.
Throw Your Hat in the Ring
Please click here to complete an application,
If you require a reasonable accommodation to submit an application or to participate in the application or interview process, please reach out to our Human Assets Team to request an accommodation. Our Human Assets Team can be contacted at 773-321-2630 or HumanAssets@onegoalgraduation.org.
OneGoal is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of actual or perceived sex, race, color, ancestry, citizenship, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, disability (mental or physical), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical condition, parenthood, genetic characteristic or information, military or veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law.