Position: Managing Director of Program Learning, (National)
Position Type: Internal/External
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Reports to: Karla Robles, Chief Program Officer, (National)
Start date: October 2022
Location: Preferred within a OneGoal region: Atlanta, GA; Chicago, IL; Houston, TX; Boston, MA; New York City, NY; Bay Area, CA, but flexible within the following states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Washington D.C.
Salary Range: $116,000-129,000 is the hiring salary range (i.e. the range a candidate would be offered to start). Please note: OneGoal aligns salaries to Cost of Labor, so the actual salary offered would be dependent on the Cost of Labor in the candidate’s living location
Despite decades of work and millions of dollars invested, the degree divide continues to be one of our nation’s most complex and critical injustices, with deep roots in systems of oppression and racism. Only 22% of students from low-income communities earn a college degree, compared to 67% of their peers from high-income areas.
COVID-19 further exposed and exacerbated inequity, with communities of color and those in low-income areas impacted at disproportionately high rates. We are looking for individuals to join us in our fight for equity during this extremely critical time.
- OneGoal has grown from a small afterschool program serving just 32 students in Chicago to a nationwide movement that is serving some 13,500 students in six communities.
- Our model, honed over 14 years, has three core differentiators: A rigorous, culturally relevant content and experience, cohorts of students who can support each other over the course of three years, and a teacher who supports our most vulnerable students’ long-term ambitions.
- 84% of OneGoal high school graduates enroll in a postsecondary institution and 75% of those who enroll persist one year after high school.
As the Managing Director of Program Learning, you will be an integral member of the National Program Team Leadership team with a primary responsibility to lead the Program Learning Team and the evolution of its function/charge to one of Applied Learning (i.e. data and insights are meant to help inform strategy & practice). The Program Learning team will be tasked with helping build the capacity of key stakeholders across the organization to better leverage data and gather insights to inform both program strategy and practice.
The Managing Director of Program Learning’s work will also support the broader mission of the National Program Team to collaborate cross-functionally in order to provide actionable learning that helps develop and refine a program model that is more impactful, scalable, flexible, and sustainable – positioning OneGoal to move closer to our mission of eliminating the degree divide.
You will do this by:
- Setting Vision & Direction (25%): Lead efforts to transform the National Program Learning team into an Applied Program Learning function that creates systems and structures that enable regions and the organization to better leverage data to inform ongoing practices and progress monitoring.
- Serve as a national program leader that effectively builds strong relationships with key stakeholders across the organization to determine the vision for an evolved Program Learning Function
- Develop an updated Program Learning Team vision/charge for FY23 and beyond with a clear focus on Applied Program Learning
- This may include aligning with Regional Program Leads on the most critical program insights and developing the systems necessary to enable them to leverage these insights to inform local program strategy and practice
- In partnership with other National Teams, develop a structure to build upon our program analytic resources (Power BI, Salesforce) to be able to then leverage these to facilitate on-going data deep dives
- Conduct Analysis (20%): Leading the organization’s extensive FY23 KPI and BMK review and setting process prioritizing learning & strategy adjustments when possible which will then inform the development of the FY24 process evolving our metrics to continue to align to the strategies priorities we have set in our 2025 Strategic Plan
- Collaborate with teams across the organization to reflect on strengths and areas of growth of our KPIs and BMKs and annually integrate the necessary revisions to our annual design and target-setting process.
- Influencing Others to Achieve Outcomes (20%): Serving as a member of the NPT Leadership Team and along with the Chief Program Officer (CPO) help steward the vision & direction for the team and our overall ability to Strengthen the Impact of our Program
- Lead efforts to design and evolve the National Program Team’s (NPT) annual Dashboard leveraging this as a tool to facilitate progress monitoring against the team’s annual priorities and work streams
- Lead efforts to provide the Program Innovation and Program Implementation teams (the two other subteams within the NPT) with actionable learning to help develop and define our program model
- Lead efforts to roll up quarterly program objectives and key results to the organization
- In partnership with the other NPT Managing Directors (MDs) lead efforts to increase collaboration / communication across each of NPT’s subteams and Implement reflective management practices that ensure our NPT subteams are aligned to overall team goals, clear on their priorities, and collectively reflecting on their work to elevate impact
- People Manager (25%): Using your positional power responsibly to support the ability of staff members on the Program Learning team to achieve meaningful outcomes, contribute to building a strong team and organizational culture, and grow and develop in their role.
- Contributing to strengthening the OneGoal community (10%): Work to achieve meaningful outcomes, contribute to building a strong team and culture, and commit to your own learning + development aligned to our Core Values.
The Managing Director of Program Learning is likely to see himself/herself/themselves in the following examples as they are designed to help you determine if this opportunity aligns with your own passion, purpose, skills, and experiences.
Critical Mindsets / Competencies:
You believe deeply in our Fellows and their ability to graduate from college.
- You believe that our Fellows face real systemic barriers to college graduation, and that empowering their families, their teachers and themselves to own their unique path will help them to overcome those barriers.
Setting Vision & Direction:
- You effectively set and communicate vision and direction for a multitude of internal and external stakeholders.
- You connect your success to the success of those you work with, and believe in both shared responsibility and mutual accountability.
- You are highly organized and capable of managing multiple priorities while clearly understanding what the KEY priorities are.
- As a manager, you believe in the inherent potential and capacity of people, and you seek to empower your team to become leaders and agents of change, to grow and thrive and to ultimately share in improving OneGoal’s model over time.
- You can see connections across lines of work and you maximize those connections by opening lines of communication and forming strong collaborative partnerships.
You value working collaboratively and innovatively.
- You constantly strive to learn from and share learnings with your teammates, no matter your current knowledge or experience.
- You know when and how to engage other key stakeholders that have the insight and positional authority to help you and others overcome obstacles and seize viable beneficial opportunities in a timely way.
- Your relationships with key stakeholders are authentic and grounded in honesty, integrity, and trust. You earn people’s trust and maintain confidence by letting others speak and understanding their viewpoint.
- You enjoy collaborating with others to leverage their knowledge and are eager to work across functional teams and internal and external audiences to ensure OneGoal can deliver the best program possible to our Fellows.
- Lived experience of the Fellows we serve (Preferred)
- A postsecondary degree at the bachelor’s level (Required) with a strong preference for those with an advanced degree in a related field
- Expertise in research design and program evaluation in educational settings, with a strong focus on program performance management (KPIs and BMKs) and its application to informing program design, strategy and practice (Required)
- Internal evaluation experience, including logic model creation (Preferred)
- Deep expertise in quantitative analysis in addition to the necessary experience needed to supervise qualitative research (Required)
- Experience managing teams and supporting the team through their own professional development and ability achieve meaningful outcomes by differentiating supports based on the unique needs and strengths of direct reports (Required)
This position requires that the employee be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 on or before the start date. Consistent with applicable laws, OneGoal will provide reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified employees and prospective employees with a disability (as defined by applicable law) or sincerely-held religious beliefs, provided that such accommodation would not result in an undue hardship on OneGoal.
Guided by a clear set of core values and beliefs, you will join an impressive group of more than 170 OneGoal staff across the country who believe in the untapped potential within students. The OneGoal team challenges themselves and others to regularly ask, “Is there a better way?”
The Tangible Good
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package* which includes medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability, life insurance, retirement matching, paid parental leave, and more. We also offer a generous paid time off policy, including 20 paid vacation days, holidays and 9 wellness days (flexible sick time).
*OneGoal reserves the right to change benefits at any time according to business need.
You believe in people and the promise of humanity and are committed to equity and inclusion
You believe in an inclusive and culturally competent society and the essence of our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe that in order to create the change we seek, each person we hire brings a remarkable and diverse set of experiences, skills and characteristics that individually and collectively, will contribute to the radical change needed to move us towards a more equitable and just nation.
Throw Your Hat in the Ring. Please use the “Apply For This Job Now” link at the bottom of this page to complete an application, which includes attaching an updated resume and cover letter explaining your passion and alignment to this position.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to submit an application or to participate in the application or interview process, please reach out to our Human Assets Team to request an accommodation. Our Human Assets Team can be contacted at 773-321-2630 or HumanAssets@onegoalgraduation.org.
OneGoal is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of actual or perceived sex, race, color, ancestry, citizenship, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, disability (mental or physical), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical condition, parenthood, genetic characteristic or information, military or veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law.