Reports to: Senior Director External Affairs
Desired Start date: August 2022
Salary Range: $54,000-$56,000
Despite decades of work and millions of dollars invested, the degree divide continues to be one of our nation’s most complex and critical injustices, with deep roots in systems of oppression and racism. Only 22% of students from low-income communities earn a college degree, compared to 67% of their peers from high-income areas.
COVID-19 further exposed and exacerbated inequity, with communities of color and those in low-income areas impacted at disproportionately high rates. We are looking for individuals to join us in our fight for equity during this extremely critical time.
- OneGoal has grown from a small afterschool program serving just 32 students in Chicago to a nationwide movement that is serving some 14,000 students across the country.
- Our model, honed over 15 years, has three core differentiators: a rigorous, culturally relevant content and 50%)supports our most vulnerable students’ long-term ambitions.
- 84% of OneGoal high school graduates enroll in a postsecondary institution and 75% of those who enroll persist one year after high school.
You believe that all students can earn a post-secondary credential and the life that comes with it. As the Manager of Institutional Giving, your mission is to work with the Senior Director of External Affairs to ensure OneGoal-Houston creates, refines, and saturates the local community with a compelling vision for how OneGoal is closing the degree divide. You are responsible for crafting the region’s narrative, developing proposal templates, and subsequent materials to ensure local campaigns are clear, concise, and support the region’s solicitation efforts. You will be responsible for the research, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship, and engagement of the corporate and community foundation portfolio..
You will do this by:
- Portfolio and Grants Program Management (55%)
- In collaboration with the Senior Director of External Affairs (SDEA), submit more than 25 grant proposals/applications to support annual revenue goals
- Supporting strategic outcomes for our Corporate and Foundation portfolios through grant writing
- Managing the grants cycle, including grant sourcing, development and grants management process
- Project Management and External Communications (25%)
- Developing campaign and solicitation strategies to secure mid-level and major gifts from corporations and foundations between the giving level of $10k to $100k
- Assist in leading the region’s internal/external communication, securing media outlets to advance our local narrative, writing newsletters, and facilitating the Houston External Affairs team’s external engagement strategies to include project management timelines and schedule
- Relationship Management (20%)
- In collaboration with the SDEA, develop relationships with program officers and corporate investment managers to execute on-going stewardship and cultivation of donors within the portfolio and informing the leadership of unique opportunities to engage
- Collaborating with other OneGoal regions and national teams to design all communication materials for the local narrative, craft key talking points, write templates for grants proposals, develop a local language bank and develop external templates for campaigns/newsletters and social media platforms
Though the OneGoal-Houston Manager of Institutional Giving is likely to see himself/herself/themselves in the following examples, these are not requirements. These examples are designed to help you determine if this opportunity aligns with your own passion and purpose.
Execution is your wheelhouse.
- You get things done. People know you as someone they can depend on to come through for them. You are trusted by your colleagues because you follow through on your commitments, and you circle back and close the loop on communication cycles.
- You’ve demonstrated the ability to work diligently towards your goals and can comfortably pivot and try new strategies when challenges arise or priorities shift.
- Even though you are highly effective at executing, you don’t go at it alone. You know that collaboration and teamwork is key to innovation and you are comfortable investing people in a project and leading a project team towards a rigorous execution of your plan.
You are a compelling and effective communicator.
- You have theability to adapt messages to different audiences in order to inspire stakeholders.
- You discern the appropriate mode of communication, depending on the situation and audience, to build champions and convert skeptics.
- You serve as an ambassador for OneGoal across Houston.
You are an intuitive and savvy relationship-builder.
- You just get people. You enjoy uncovering and understanding the unique interest, motivations, and barriers that others possess. However, you don’t stop there; you leverage your understanding of those unique needs, interests, and differences to increase our fundraising efforts and effectively manage and engage our regional board.
- You build meaningful relationships that extend beyond the transactional by creating authentic connections and engagements that are mutually beneficial for the Houston region, OneGoal overall, our supporters and champions, and the communities we serve.
- You are persistent and understand that building relationships among the donor community will take time. You will put in the work and strategize with team members to build a large pipeline of potential donors and allies.
You are a continuous learner.
- You are constantly learning, adapting and developing. You create and seize opportunities to refine your knowledge, skills and mindsets in both your personal and professional life. When there is a setback you accept responsibility and accountability.
- You proactively seek feedback, practice active listening, act on feedback as necessary, all because you seek to be the best version of yourself for Fellows.
You are committed to diversity and inclusion.
- You seek to understand and celebrate the unique identities of the individuals with whom you interact; you advocate for and elevate the voices of marginalized people and communities especially those from which our Fellows come; you integrate your knowledge, skills and mindsets related to diversity and inclusion into every aspect of the work.
- You continuously build your understanding of privilege and oppression especially within the context of our country, education system, and college divide.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Required)
- 2+ years in either: development, campaign management, partnership development, marketing, communications, strategy or operations (Required)
- Lived experience of the Fellows we serve (Preferred)
- Some local travel for meetings with donors and other stakeholders will be required
This position requires that the employee be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 on or before the start date. Consistent with applicable laws, OneGoal will provide reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified employees and prospective employees with a disability (as defined by applicable law) or sincerely-held religious beliefs, provided that such accommodation would not result in an undue hardship on OneGoal.
the country who believe in the untapped potential within students. The OneGoal team challenges themselves and others to regularly ask, “Is there a better way?”
The Tangible Good
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package* which includes medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability, life insurance, retirement matching, paid parental leave, and more. We also offer a generous paid time off policy, including 20 paid vacation days, holidays and 6 wellness days (flexible sick time).
*OneGoal reserves the right to change benefits at any time according to business need.
You believe in people and the promise of humanity and are committed to equity and inclusion
You believe in an inclusive and culturally competent society and the essence of our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe that in order to create the change we seek, each person we hire brings a remarkable and diverse set of experiences, skills and characteristics that individually and collectively, will contribute to the radical change needed to move us towards a more equitable and just nation.
Throw Your Hat in the Ring
Please use the “Apply For This Job Now” link at the bottom of this page to complete an application, which includes attaching an updated resume and brief cover letter explaining your passion and alignment to this position.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to submit an application or to participate in the application or interview process, please reach out to our Human Assets Team to request an accommodation. Our Human Assets Team can be contacted at 773-321-2630 or HumanAssets@onegoalgraduation.org.
OneGoal is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of actual or perceived sex, race, color, ancestry, citizenship, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, disability (mental or physical), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical condition, parenthood, genetic characteristic or information, military or veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law.