Reports to: Senior Director External Affairs
Desired Start date: August 2022
Salary Range: $54,000-$56,000 is the hiring salary range (i.e. the range a candidate would be offered to start).*
Despite decades of work and millions of dollars invested, the degree divide continues to be one of our nation’s most complex and critical injustices, with deep roots in systems of oppression and racism. Only 22% of students from low-income communities earn a college degree, compared to 67% of their peers from high-income areas.
COVID-19 further exposed and exacerbated inequity, with communities of color and those in low-income areas impacted at disproportionately high rates. We are looking for individuals to join us in our fight for equity during this extremely critical time.
- OneGoal has grown from a small afterschool program serving just 32 students in Chicago to a nationwide movement that is serving some 14,000 students across the country.
- Our model, honed over 15 years, has three core differentiators: a rigorous, culturally relevant content and experience, cohorts of students who can support each other over the course of three years, and a teacher who supports our most vulnerable students’ long-term ambitions.
- 84% of OneGoal high school graduates enroll in a postsecondary institution and 75% of those who enroll persist one year after high school.
The Manager of Development oversees cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of a portfolio composed primarily of annual givers at the $5,000 level and below and lends strategy and execution with their team toward overall fundraising execution. They support the Senior Director of External Affairs and Managing Director of Program with donor and board of directors engagement opportunities and corporate career fairs. Additionally, they manage OneGoal Houstons’ development operations, including gift and database management, and they lend operations and logistical support for all regional special events.
The Manager of Development is responsible for the following key strands of work to support the Houston Development team’s ability to meet our ambitious goals. The core responsibilities include:
- Gift and database management (35%)
- Recording charitable donations properly and in a timely manner
- Producing tax-appropriate acknowledgment letters
- Producing welcome letters for new donors
- Supporting additional new and returning donor outreach
- Creating weekly internal progress-to-goal reports
- Portfolio management and annual giving (25%)
- Cultivating and stewarding donors in the annual giving stream (5k and below)
- Support the development team in building communication and ongoing relationships for this stream aligned to larger regional communication planning.
- Engagement opportunities for external stakeholders (20%)
- Supporting scheduling and agenda for events and communicating relevant information pre and post event for external stakeholders including planning and executing classroom site visits for donors
- Supporting corporate career fairs with corporate partners including working with the program team to identify participants, programming and logistics and financials.
- Support regional special events (20%)
- Working with the Senior Director of External Affairs to plan and execute regional events including annual fundraising gala
- Coordinating logistics and communication for special events, including venue contract and vendor scheduling and payment, student participation and transportation, etc
- Preparing logistics for, attending, and recording notes for quarterly board meetings
- Supporting the Houston program and partnerships team during all-staff events
Though the Manager of Development is likely to see themselves in the following examples, these are not requirements. These examples are designed to help you determine if this opportunity aligns with your own passion and purpose.
You are a compelling and effective communicator.
- You have tremendous ability to adapt messages to different audiences in order to inspire stakeholders.
- You discern the appropriate mode of communication, depending on the situation and audience, to build champions and convert skeptics.
- You serve as an ambassador for OneGoal Massachusetts.
- You share information in a Working closely with program, partnerships, and other team members to ensure the sharing of accurate program data and storiesway that is clear and direct; and allows space for the audience to engage.
You are a highly organized project manager.
- You love developing and maintaining organizational systems that make things easy to find and easy to use.
- You are committed to leveraging systems and processes for providing transparency in your process and clarifying roles and responsibilities so everyone has the information they need.
- You set and pursue goals at the intersection of ambitious and feasible, with a high sense of possibility.
- You follow through on your commitments because you know that others are depending on you.
- You can manage both the details and the big picture view of a project and clarify the roles and responsibilities that each teammate plays.
- You strive to build strong relationships with each no lo teammate and learn how to motivate them based on their unique needs.
You value working collaboratively and innovatively.
- You constantly strive to learn from and share learnings with your teammates, no matter your current knowledge or experience.
- You know when and how to engage other key stakeholders that have the insight and positional authority to help you and others overcome obstacles and seize viable beneficial opportunities in a timely way.
- You do not operate as a blind executor of pre-existing practices; instead, you thoughtfully evaluate the OneGoal program and identify ways to elevate our program’s effectiveness.
- Lived experience of the Fellows we serve (Preferred)
- At least one year of relevant experience, either in non-profit fundraising or in equivalent positions with transferable skills including project management or event planning. (Preferred)
- Some local travel for meetings with donors and other stakeholders will be required
This position requires that the employee be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 on or before the start date. Consistent with applicable laws, OneGoal will provide reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified employees and prospective employees with a disability (as defined by applicable law) or sincerely-held religious beliefs, provided that such accommodation would not result in an undue hardship on OneGoal.
Guided by a clear set of core values and beliefs, you will join an impressive group of more than 150 OneGoal staff across the country who believe in the untapped potential within students. The OneGoal team challenges themselves and others to regularly ask, “Is there a better way?”
The Tangible Good
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package* which includes medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability, life insurance, retirement matching, paid parental leave, and more. We also offer a generous paid time off policy, including 20 paid vacation days, holidays and 6 wellness days (flexible sick time).
*OneGoal reserves the right to change benefits at any time according to business need.
You believe in people and the promise of humanity and are committed to equity and inclusion
You believe in an inclusive and culturally competent society and the essence of our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe that in order to create the change we seek, each person we hire brings a remarkable and diverse set of experiences, skills and characteristics that individually and collectively, will contribute to the radical change needed to move us towards a more equitable and just nation.
Throw Your Hat in the Ring
Please use the “Apply For This Job Now” link at the bottom of this page to complete an application, which includes attaching an updated resume and brief cover letter explaining your passion and alignment to this position.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to submit an application or to participate in the application or interview process, please reach out to our Human Assets Team to request an accommodation. Our Human Assets Team can be contacted at 773-321-2630 or HumanAssets@onegoalgraduation.org.
OneGoal is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of actual or perceived sex, race, color, ancestry, citizenship, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, disability (mental or physical), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical condition, parenthood, genetic characteristic or information, military or veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law.