Reports to: Senior Director Postsecondary
Desired Start date: August 2022
Location: Houston, TX
Salary Range: $54,000-$56,000 is the hiring salary range (i.e. the range a candidate would be offered to start).*
Despite decades of work and millions of dollars invested, the degree divide continues to be one of our nation’s most complex and critical injustices, with deep roots in systems of oppression and racism. Only 22% of students from low-income communities earn a college degree, compared to 67% of their peers from high-income areas.
COVID-19 further exposed and exacerbated inequity, with communities of color and those in low-income areas impacted at disproportionately high rates. We are looking for individuals to join us in our fight for equity during this extremely critical time.
- OneGoal has grown from a small afterschool program serving just 32 students in Chicago to a nationwide movement that is serving some 12,500 students in six communities.
- Our model, honed over 14 years, has three core differentiators: A rigorous, culturally relevant content and experience, cohorts of students who can support each other over the course of three years, and a teacher who supports our most vulnerable students’ long-term ambitions.
- 88% of OneGoal high school graduates enroll in a postsecondary institution and 79% of those who enroll persist one year after high school.
As the Manager of Postsecondary Support, your mission is to support a portfolio of Y3 Felllows (students in their first year of a postsecondary pathway) as they seek to complete their postsecondary aspirations.
As the Manager of Postsecondary Support, you will be responsible for expanding our organization’s impact on completion by providing personalized and strategic support for Y3 Fellow students to persist or re-enrollin a four-year college, two-year college, or certificate program. Your primary focus will be to engage Y3 Fellows in your portfolio with a targeted approach specifically tiering your support across the portfolio with in person and virtual one on one and group support. You will also support students in a lower-quality programto strengthen the quality of their enrollment should they desire to. You will also collect information about their experiences to help us understand the barriers and supports of our students and uncover our greatest opportunities to dismantle them.
The Manager of Postsecondary Support will work toward four outcomes on an annual basis:
- Coaching and Support (60%): Providing differentiated support to a specific portfolio of Fellows in the Fall or Spring of Y3 with a focus on step to success support. This will happen through small group and 1:1 coaching both virtually and in person.
- Data Collection and Analysis (20%): Collect data and track progres to goal on your portfolio of Fellows and support your team in both Fall and Spring Enrollment verification. This will allow us to understand our impact and analyze current + historical data, conduct research, and create strategic plans for postsecondary completion supports.
- Collaborate and Innovate (10%): Collaborate with regional and national staff to achieve Y3 program outcomes. May include participation in working groups, lunch and learns, Y3 team meetings, cross-team meetings, and more.
- Strengthen OneGoal Community (10%): Work to achieve meaningful outcomes, contribute to building a strong team and culture, and commit to your own learning and development aligned to our Core Values.
Though the Manager of Postsecondary Support is likely to see himself/herself/themselves in the following examples, these are not requirements. These examples are designed to help you determine if this opportunity aligns with your own passion and purpose.
You believe deeply in our Fellows/alumni and their ability to to achieve their postsecondary dreams.
- You believe that our Fellows face real systemic barriers towards achieving their greatest postsecondary aspirations, and that empowering their families, their teachers, and themselves to own their unique path will help them to overcome those barriers.
You know the postsecondary landscape.
- You have an understanding of the college enrollment process and have experience coaching and advising students through it.
- You know and/or are committed to learning about high-quality, low-cost postsecondary degrees or credentials.
- Our alumni would benefit from your experience and knowledge of the postsecondary landscape.
You are a coach at heart and believe in the power of coaching.
- You believe your impact can be greater when you empower others.
- You have the ability to maximize relationships to achieve results for Fellows.
- You know every learner is different, and you enjoy adjusting your coaching to meet their needs.
- You are able to influence, cultivate, and inspire action due to an exemplary ability to build coalitions, lead from a position of inquiry, and be empathetic and flexible to the needs of others.
You believe in the power of building connections and communities of support. You are a connection-builder and continuous learner.
- You believe your impact can be greater when you empower others and connect people with a broader network of support. Wherever possible, you leverage resources outside of direct coaching and support.
- You have the ability to maximize relationships to achieve results for alumni.
- You know every learner is different, and you enjoy adjusting your approach to meet their needs.
- You are able to influence, cultivate, and inspire action due to an exemplary ability to build communities, lead from a position of inquiry, be empathetic and flexible to the needs of others, and connect alumni with a broader set of supports.
You identify and confront challenges and opportunities.
- You find joy in critical thinking but are able to quickly transition from thought to action.
- You see challenges as opportunities to take your critical thinking skills and impact to the next level. You operate with a strong sense of personal responsibility when it comes to solving challenges.
- You analyze data and marshal resources to ensure our regions and national teams have what they need to realize our mission.
- You constantly strive to learn from and share learnings with your teammates, no matter your current knowledge or experience.
- You thoughtfully evaluate your current approach and identify ways to elevate our program’s effectiveness through regular self-reflection.
You are a highly organized project manager.
- You love developing and maintaining organizational systems that make things easy to find and easy to use.
- You are committed to leveraging systems and processes for providing transparency in your process and clarifying roles and responsibilities so everyone has the information they need.
- You set and pursue goals at the intersection of ambitious and feasible, with a high sense of possibility.
- You follow through on your commitments because you know that others are depending on you.
- You can manage both the details and the big picture view of a project and clarify the roles and responsibilities that each teammate plays.
- You strive to build strong relationships with each teammate and learn how to motivate them based on their unique needs.
- Lived experience of the Fellows we serve
- Knowledge of and experience navigating postsecondary systems and structures [eg. FAFSA, Common Application, etc.] (Required)
- Some project management experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
This position requires that the employee be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 on or before the start date. Consistent with applicable laws, OneGoal will provide reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified employees and prospective employees with a disability (as defined by applicable law) or sincerely-held religious beliefs, provided that such accommodation would not result in an undue hardship on OneGoal.
Guided by a clear set of core values and beliefs, you will join an impressive group of more than 150 OneGoal staff across the country who believe in the untapped potential within students. The OneGoal team challenges themselves and others to regularly ask, “Is there a better way?”
The Tangible Good
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package* which includes medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability, life insurance, retirement matching, paid parental leave, and more. We also offer a generous paid time off policy, including 20 paid vacation days, holidays and 6 wellness days (flexible sick time).
*OneGoal reserves the right to change benefits at anytime according to business need.
You believe in people and the promise of humanity and are committed to equity and inclusion
You believe in an inclusive and culturally competent society and the essence of our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe that in order to create the change we seek, each person we hire brings a remarkable and diverse set of experiences, skills and characteristics that individually and collectively, will contribute to the radical change needed to move us towards a more equitable and just nation.
Throw Your Hat in the Ring
Please use the “Apply For This Job Now” link at the bottom of this page to complete an application, which includes attaching an updated resume and brief cover letter explaining your passion and alignment to this position.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to submit an application or to participate in the application or interview process, please reach out to our Human Assets Team to request an accommodation. Our Human Assets Team can be contacted at 773-321-2630 or HumanAssets@onegoalgraduation.org.
OneGoal is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of actual or perceived sex, race, color, ancestry, citizenship, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, disability (mental or physical), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical condition, parenthood, genetic characteristic or information, military or veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law.