Reports to: Sam Koenig, Senior Director of Analytics, District Partnership Program
Desired Start date: October 2022
Location: Preferred within a OneGoal region: Atlanta, GA; Chicago, IL; Houston, TX; Boston, MA; New York City, NY; Bay Area, CA, but flexible within the following states: Alabama, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Washington D.C., Wisconsin
Salary Range: $71,000-$82,000 is the hiring salary range (i.e. the range a candidate would be offered to start), based on a Chicago Cost of Labor. Please note: OneGoal aligns salaries to Cost of Labor, so the actual salary offered would be dependent on the Cost of Labor in the candidate’s living location.
Despite decades of work and millions of dollars invested, the degree divide continues to be one of our nation’s most complex and critical injustices, with deep roots in systems of oppression and racism. Only 22% of students from low-income communities earn a college degree, compared to 67% of their peers from high-income areas.
COVID-19 further exposed and exacerbated inequity, with communities of color and those in low-income areas impacted at disproportionately high rates. We are looking for individuals to join us in our fight for equity during this extremely critical time.
- OneGoal has grown from a small afterschool program serving just 32 students in Chicago to a nationwide movement that is serving some 13,500 students in six communities.
- Our model, honed over 14 years, has three core differentiators: A rigorous, culturally relevant content and experience, cohorts of students who can support each other over the course of three years, and a teacher who supports our most vulnerable students’ long-term ambitions.
- 84% of OneGoal high school graduates enroll in a postsecondary institution and 75% of those who enroll persist one year after high school.
OneGoal is launching our 2025 Strategic Plan focused on improving our impact, scale, and sustainability. Our Controller will play an integral role in ensuring we are able to balance these three as we take on new and exciting opportunities to solve this problem at scale. By 2025, OneGoal Fellows will be on track to graduate at two times the rate of students from similar backgrounds. We will have successfully diversified our product offerings to increase equitable postsecondary advising across entire systems. And we will be ready to achieve impact at scale, responding to the massive injustice of the degree divide with a bold solution of equal force.
As a Senior Analyst, you will play an important role on the District Partnership Program team. You are driven by a strong belief that all students deserve an equitable opportunity to achieve their greatest postsecondary aspirations, and understand the importance of using data and technology to support our Fellows to achieve their goals. The Senior Analyst will: (1) Support the innovation in data products needed to scale our student-facing program based on DPP’s expansion and our organizational technology priorities (2) Build, implement and maintain current data products for our student-facing programming based on prioritized user need (3) Develop recommendation and facilitation of our internal team’s continuous improvement cycle from collection, processing, and then subsequent understanding of our quantitative and qualitative data.
Your role will include the following work:
Innovation on data and technology products (40%) :
- Co-lead on audit of current technology suite, data products. Which routines will work at 100k students scale? What are our highest risks in our current data system we need to improve / pivot?
- Design, incorporate feedback and roll out products that address key user needs using both our current suite of technology solutions + any external solutions recommended. Examples include:
- Senior Year application and FAFSA tracking
- Alumni student enrollment / persistence tracking using National Student Clearinghouse
- 1:1 Advising Routines
- Student Progress Tracking
- Teacher email automation campaigns
- Support the implementation and maintenance of data collection methods (Canvas, Formassembly Surveys, Application Tracking software), data warehousing and business intelligence solutions.
- Ensure technology vision is aligned to organization direction and initiatives
Build, maintain, and execute on systems for student-facing programming (30%)
- Execute and systematize our user-facing communication campaigns relating to our quarterly goals using Python, R, and/or SQL.
- Contribute to the Training and Support team’s efforts to train school teams with Canvas, Google Data Studio, Application Tracking and other technology.
- Develop methods for data collection within tools like Canvas, Form Assembly, or Salesforce to support the Learning Design team
- Lead on maintaining current data tools – including data collection methods from Canvas, Formassembly, Application Tracking software, as well as user-facing data views in our business intelligence solution.
- Lead on support tickets related to our data products, and prevent future troubleshooting by building solutions for scale.
Analysis + Continuous Improvement (30%) :
- Define, build and facilitate our internal teams continuous improvement cycle. This could look like:
- Leading monthly spaces for our internal team to understand how do we look at quantitative / qualitative data as a team in an objective way
- Helping our team with a process for how to prioritize user needs
- Provide consistent updates on how we’re tracking toward key quantitative indicators in our model.
- Lead on research and analysis of quantitative leading indicators (ex. List quality, career interests, applications, etc). to understand relation between important programmatic outcomes such as enrollment and persistence
Key components of success in this role:
- Building strong relationships
- Being user-centered in all your work
- Comfort working with data
- Continuously learning and improving your skills
- Testing / iterating on versions of product
You’re likely to see yourself in the following examples as they are designed to help you determine if this opportunity aligns with your own passion, purpose, skills, and experiences.
You believe deeply in our Fellows and their ability to achieve their postsecondary aspirations.
- You believe that our Fellows face real systemic barriers to postsecondary success, and that empowering their families, their teachers and themselves to own their unique path will help them to overcome those barriers.
When it comes to data, you believe that actionable insights drive learning and improvement.
- You enjoy making data and analysis digestible and meaningful for all types of learners and audiences.
- You feel energized when others use your data products to learn and take action.
- You value the power of both qualitative and quantitative data–and you understand that data only tells part of the story.
- You are excited to train and support others to more easily access and use the data they need.
You find it rewarding to create and maintain high quality user-facing experiences and data products.
- You enjoy figuring out what end users need and designing reporting products to meet those needs.
- You consistently take steps to ensure that you’re delivering a high quality product and are comfortable carrying out any manual steps, including data quality checks, required before a report can be distributed.
You are organized and have a keen attention to detail.
- You have systems/processes to ensure that things don’t fall through the cracks.
- You consistently have a clear picture of your progress relative to short- and long-term goals.
You value working collaboratively and innovatively.
- You constantly strive to learn from and share learnings with others, no matter your current knowledge or experience.
- You know when and how to engage with other key stakeholders that have the insight and positional authority to help you and others overcome obstacles and seize viable beneficial opportunities in a timely way.
- You do not operate as a blind executor of pre-existing practices; instead, you thoughtfully look at what exists already, seek to understand what is working, and search for opportunities to improve
You are a curious and continuous learner.
- You love to learn and to put that learning into action.
- You see the value in not only knowing if a solution or approach works, but why and how it works as well.
- You seek feedback, practice active listening, and are willing to admit and learn from failures, knowing that is key to your growth and success.
- Lived experience of the Fellows we serve (Preferred)
- 3 years of professional experience with data tools beyond MS Excel – examples include SQL, R and/or Python (Required)
- Experience building user-facing visualizations using BI Tools – examples include PowerBI, Tableau, Google Data Studio (Required)
- Academic or continuing professional study in data analytics, UX/UI design, or quantitative field of study. (Preferred)
- Background knowledge of K-12 or postsecondary data and systems (Preferred)
- Some travel (1-3 trips per quarter) may be required in the future once COVID-related restrictions are lifted
- OneGoal Alumni are strongly encouraged to apply
Guided by a clear set of core values and beliefs, you will join an impressive group of more than 170 OneGoal staff across the country who believe in the untapped potential within students. The OneGoal team challenges themselves and others to regularly ask, “Is there a better way?”
The Tangible Good
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package* which includes medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability, life insurance, retirement matching, paid parental leave, and more. We also offer a generous paid time off policy, including 20 paid vacation days, holidays and 9 wellness days (flexible sick time).
*OneGoal reserves the right to change benefits at anytime according to business need.
You believe in people and the promise of humanity and are committed to equity and inclusion
You believe in an inclusive and culturally competent society and the essence of our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe that in order to create the change we seek, each person we hire brings a remarkable and diverse set of experiences, skills and characteristics that individually and collectively, will contribute to the radical change needed to move us towards a more equitable and just nation.
Throw Your Hat in the Ring
Please click here to complete an application,
If you require a reasonable accommodation to submit an application or to participate in the application or interview process, please reach out to our Human Assets Team to request an accommodation. Our Human Assets Team can be contacted at 773-321-2630 or HumanAssets@onegoalgraduation.org.
OneGoal is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of actual or perceived sex, race, color, ancestry, citizenship, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, disability (mental or physical), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical condition, parenthood, genetic characteristic or information, military or veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law.