Position: Staff Accountant
Position Type: Internal-External
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Reports to: Takira Hill, Senior Accountant
Start date: January 2024
Location: Preferred within a OneGoal region: Atlanta, GA; Chicago, IL; Houston, TX; Boston, MA; New York City, NY; Bay Area, CA, but flexible within the following states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Washington D.C.
Salary Range: $57,000 – $63,000 is the hiring salary range (i.e. the range a candidate would be offered to start). Please note: OneGoal aligns salaries to Cost of Labor, so the actual salary offered would be dependent on the Cost of Labor in the candidate’s living location.
OneGoal transforms postsecondary advising and support so that every student can define their own future. Together with our partners, we’re building a movement to close the opportunity gap. We work side-by-side with partner schools and districts to build their knowledge and capacity. The result is more equitable and effective support for all students. Our unique approach, honed over 15 years, prioritizes strong human relationships. And it’s proven to deliver real student impact. 81% of OneGoal high school graduates enroll in a postsecondary institution, and 73% of those students persist one year after high school graduation. An independent study by the University of Chicago found that OneGoal students are about 40% more likely to earn their postsecondary degrees than students from similar backgrounds. We are looking for individuals to join us in our pursuit of equity.
You believe – and your work has demonstrated your belief – that all students can achieve their highest postsecondary aspirations and the life that comes with it. The Staff Accountant is a member of the Finance and Operations team, which is charged with building and managing the systems, processes, and policies necessary to become a scalable, sustainable, and enduring organization.
As the Staff Accountant, your mission is to maintain the day-to-day accounting of the organization. You will do this by:
Ensure accounts are reconciled in a timely manner (50%)
- Enter daily transactions into accounting software. Review and perform monthly entries to record transactions necessary for proper financial reporting.
- Learn and take full ownership of the following month end close areas:
- Cash (bank reconciliations)
- Prepaid expenses
- Organizational allocations
- Payroll journal entries
- Additional reconciliations as needed
Ensure timely entry of philanthropic and fee for service revenue items (35%)
- Enter donor gifts
- Help manage accounts receivable
- Create service revenue invoices
- Document key accounting processes and standard operating procedures
- Use the “why” of accounting processes to improve SOP documentation
Help support the team in ensuring we have a clean audit opinion and an accurate 990 as well as strong internal controls and adherence to GAAP (15%)
- Prepare journal entries on an as needed basis
- Assist with the financial statement audit
- Assist with preparing the Form 990 and state tax returns
- Ad hoc reporting
- Developing both accounting policies and procedures and organizational policies and procedures, along with related training and documentation
- Special projects/duties as assigned by manager
The Staff Accountant is likely to see himself/herself/themselves in the following examples as they are designed to help you determine if this opportunity aligns with your own passion, purpose, skills, and experiences.
You are detail-oriented and enjoy behind-the-scenes work in an outcomes-driven environment.
- You value precision + accuracy.
- You adhere to deadlines and reliably deliver on schedule.
- You have strong project management skills, and are able to simultaneously manage a variety of projects toward ambitious outcomes.
- You take pride in identifying and implementing high-impact solutions that will support our staff and/or improve team efficiency.
- You love managing the details and have systems/processes to ensure that things don’t fall through the cracks. You consistently have a clear picture of where things are relative to short- and long-term goals.
- You have a systems orientation to your work.
You communicate in a way that fosters collaboration + forward movement.
- You love the idea of representing the Finance + Operations team by providing excellent administrative support and warm touch points for staff in every interaction.
- Your communication is clear, efficient and responsive; ensuring stakeholders have just the right amount of detail to act and follow through.
- You have a strong customer service orientation, and you consider how to answer the question at-hand and read between-the-lines to anticipate what would enable the person to have what they need in the future.
You are highly organized and you adapt to change well.
- You understand the ebbs and flows of our work, and your ability to prioritize helps you maintain work-life balance.
- You understand that the needs of the organization and needs of our team will change as we grow and you are excited to pivot as our organizational priorities shift.
You value working collaboratively and innovatively.
- You constantly strive to learn from and share learnings with your teammates, no matter your current knowledge or experience.
- You know when and how to engage other key stakeholders that have the insight and positional authority to help you gather input and overcome obstacles.
- You thoughtfully evaluate your current approach and identify ways to elevate our program’s effectiveness through constant self-reflection.
You are a continuous learner.
- You are constantly learning, adapting and developing; you constantly create and seize opportunities to refine your knowledge, skills and mindsets in both your personal and professional life.
- When there is a setback you accept responsibility and accountability.
- You proactively seek feedback, practice active listening, act on feedback as necessary, all because you seek to be the best version of yourself for Fellows.
- Lived experience of the Fellows we serve (Preferred)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance (Required)
- 1-3 years of accounting, finance and/or month-end close experience (Required)
- Experience in non-profit/education field (Preferred)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to turn data into insights and anticipate questions and problems (Preferred)
- Ability to work independently with good time management skills (Required)
- Strong attention to detail and track record of achieving ambitious results (Required)
This position requires that the employee be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 on or before the start date. Consistent with applicable laws, OneGoal will provide reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified employees and prospective employees with a disability (as defined by applicable law) or sincerely-held religious beliefs, provided that such accommodation would not result in an undue hardship on OneGoal.
Thinking Of Applying?
Research shows that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. If you are excited about the role and see connection with what we are looking for, but don’t meet every single requirement, we’d encourage you to apply anyway. Please click “Apply For This Job Now” below to complete an application.
Guided by a clear set of core values and beliefs, you will join an impressive group of more than 200 OneGoal staff across the country who believe in the untapped potential within students. The OneGoal team challenges themselves and others to regularly ask, “Is there a better way?” You believe in an inclusive and culturally competent society and the essence of our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe that in order to create the change we seek, each person we hire brings a remarkable and diverse set of experiences, skills and characteristics that individually and collectively, will contribute to the radical change needed to move us towards a more equitable and just nation.
The Tangible Good
OneGoal offers competitive compensation based on the market for nonprofits our size. Our benefits package* includes: over eight weeks of paid time off (or 43 business days), between vacation days, wellness time, and holidays; paid medical or parental leaves should you have need; medical, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability, and life insurance; as well as a 401(k) with a 3% match.
We believe in compensating staff members fairly in relation to each other, their qualifications, and their impact on behalf of the organization, and take internal and external equity seriously. Given our commitment to equity, OneGoal does not negotiate salary offers; instead each salary offer is determined carefully using external and internal benchmarking. You will have an opportunity to discuss salary in more detail after you begin the hiring process.
*OneGoal reserves the right to change benefits at any time according to business needs.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to submit an application or to participate in the application or interview process, please reach out to our Human Assets Team to request an accommodation. Our Human Assets Team can be contacted at 773-321-2630 or HumanAssets@onegoalgraduation.org.
OneGoal is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of actual or perceived sex, race, color, ancestry, citizenship, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, disability (mental or physical), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical condition, parenthood, genetic characteristic or information, military or veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law.