Reports to: Maire Daly, Managing Director of External Affairs, OneGoal- Chicago
Desired Start date: July 2022
Location: Chicago, IL
Salary Range: $93,000-98,000 is the hiring salary range (i.e. the range a candidate would be offered to start).
Despite decades of work and millions of dollars invested, the degree divide continues to be one of our nation’s most complex and critical injustices, with deep roots in systems of oppression and racism. Only 22% of students from low-income communities earn a college degree, compared to 67% of their peers from high-income areas.
COVID-19 further exposed and exacerbated inequity, with communities of color and those in low-income areas impacted at disproportionately high rates. We are looking for individuals to join us in our fight for equity during this extremely critical time.
- OneGoal has grown from a small afterschool program serving just 32 students in Chicago to a nationwide movement that is serving some 12,500 students in six communities.
- Our model, honed over 14 years, has three core differentiators: A rigorous, culturally relevant content and experience, cohorts of students who can support each other over the course of three years, and a teacher who supports our most vulnerable students’ long-term ambitions.
- 88% of OneGoal high school graduates enroll in a postsecondary institution and 79% of those who enroll persist one year after high school.
The Senior Director of External Affairs has the mission of executing on a multi-year strategy to ensure regional financial sustainability by growing the revenue base in Chicago, engaging a variety of stakeholders through a diverse set of strategies, and leading Development team members in collaboration with other functional leads. The Senior Director of Development will be a member of the Chicago External Affairs (CEA) leadership team along with the Managing Director of External Affairs and the Senior Director of External Affairs. As a member of the leadership team, this role will facilitate collaboration across the team in order to meet revenue and engagement goals and to create a strong team culture on the team.
You will do this by:
- Driving Development Strategy (45%): Set and execute a multi-year strategy for our donors, connected to OneGoal’s central strategic plan and the OneGoal-Chicago vision and direction, including multi-year goals, strategies, and fundraising campaigns.
- Managing a Portfolio of Major Donors (30%): Through thoughtful cultivation and stewardship strategies, raise our annual revenue goal from foundation, individual, and corporate donors, alongside the Director of Development.
- Coordinating the Collection of Fee-for-Service revenue (10%): Lead the region’s work to ensure accurate and complete systems for fee for service (including Chicago Public Schools and other partners) by partnering with the Chicago Program Team and the OneGoal Finance Team.
- Managing a team (10%): Manage a full time Director of Development and a part-time grant writer.
- Strengthen the OneGoal community (5%): Work to achieve meaningful outcomes, contribute to building a strong team and culture, and commit to personal learning + development aligned to our organizational Core Values.
Though the Senior Director of Development is likely to see himself/herself/themselves in the following examples, these are not requirements. These examples are designed to help you determine if this opportunity aligns with your own passion and purpose.
You are a strategic visionary – who puts it into practice.
- You are driven by a bold vision of what’s possible, and can quickly and effectively build momentum around that vision across diverse constituencies.
- You can also break down a complex vision into clear, tangible, and measurable milestones for yourself and others. You see the big picture, but you thrive in the gradual pursuit.
- You can see connections across lines of work and you maximize those connections by opening lines of communication and forming strong collaborative partnerships.
You are committed to the donor experience.
- You’re passionate about what motivates people to support an organization and are dedicated to tailoring outreach to meet those needs. You know every touch point with a donor should be intentional and should further their commitment to OneGoal and our Fellows.
- You get energy from ensuring that people have a positive experience and treat relationship management and stewardship as a key priority.
You have a remarkable ability to compel and inspire and it is rooted in your beliefs.
- You get energy from meeting others and they are inspired when they meet you. When you meet someone, you are able to communicate why our work matters, our organizational values and leave them interested in joining OneGoal’s movement.
- You are an exceptional communicator with experience winning people over. It’s energizing to “close the deal,” and you will not give up easily when you have identified someone who is a strong fit.
- You are driven by the belief that we cannot move the needle on the college completion movement without talented individuals from diverse backgrounds working together inclusively.
- You believe that the work of OneGoal is not only about building an organization, but creating a national sea change that seeks to dismantle oppression and foster justice and opportunity for the OneGoal Fellows we serve now and will serve over time.
- Lived experience of the Fellows we serve (Preferred)
- 6-8 years experience in either: development, project management, sales, or similar experience (Strongly Preferred)
- Experiencing managing direct reports to perform their best work (Strongly Preferred)
This position requires that the employee be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 on or before the start date. Consistent with applicable laws, OneGoal will provide reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified employees and prospective employees with a disability (as defined by applicable law) or sincerely-held religious beliefs, provided that such accommodation would not result in an undue hardship on OneGoal.
Guided by a clear set of core values and beliefs, you will join an impressive group of more than 150 OneGoal staff across the country who believe in the untapped potential within students. The OneGoal team challenges themselves and others to regularly ask, “Is there a better way?”
The Tangible Good
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package* which includes medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability, life insurance, retirement matching, paid parental leave, and more. We also offer a generous paid time off policy, including 20 paid vacation days, holidays and 6 wellness days (flexible sick time).
*OneGoal reserves the right to change benefits at anytime according to business need.
You believe in people and the promise of humanity and are committed to equity and inclusion
You believe in an inclusive and culturally competent society and the essence of our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe that in order to create the change we seek, each person we hire brings a remarkable and diverse set of experiences, skills and characteristics that individually and collectively, will contribute to the radical change needed to move us towards a more equitable and just nation.
Throw Your Hat in the Ring
Please use the “Apply For This Job Now” link at the bottom of this page to complete an application, which includes attaching an updated resume and brief cover letter explaining your passion and alignment to this position.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to submit an application or to participate in the application or interview process, please reach out to our Human Assets Team to request an accommodation. Our Human Assets Team can be contacted at 773-321-2630 or HumanAssets@onegoalgraduation.org.
OneGoal is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of actual or perceived sex, race, color, ancestry, citizenship, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, disability (mental or physical), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical condition, parenthood, genetic characteristic or information, military or veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law.