Position: Senior Director of External Affairs
Position Type: Internal-External
Reports to: Rochelle Sinclair (Executive Director)
Start Date: Nov. 1, 2022
Location: New York, NY
Application Deadline: September 1, 2022
Salary Range: $100,000-$107,000 is the hiring salary range (i.e. the range a candidate would be offered to start)
Despite decades of work and millions of dollars invested, the degree divide continues to be one of our nation’s most complex and critical injustices, with deep roots in systems of oppression and racism. Only 22% of students from low-income communities earn a college degree, compared to 67% of their peers from high-income areas.
COVID-19 further exposed and exacerbated inequity, with communities of color and those in low-income areas impacted at disproportionately high rates. We are looking for individuals to join us in our fight for equity during this extremely critical time.
- OneGoal has grown from a small afterschool program serving just 32 students in Chicago to a nationwide movement that is serving some 12,500 students in six communities.
- Our model, honed over 14 years, has three core differentiators: A rigorous, culturally relevant content and experience, cohorts of students who can support each other over the course of three years, and a teacher who supports our most vulnerable students’ long-term ambitions.
- 88% of OneGoal high school graduates enroll in a postsecondary institution and 79% of those who enroll persist one year after high school.
About OneGoal- New York
New York City is the largest school district in the country, serving 1.1 million students – including over 300,000 high school students in more than 400 high schools – but only 17% of New York City Department of Education 9th graders from low-income backgrounds have obtained an associates or bachelors degree six years following high school graduation. At OneGoal, we believe that all students – not just those with the best grades or the most resources – have the ability and deserve the opportunity to earn a postsecondary degree. What’s more, we have developed a solution that works, and we believe this problem is solvable within our lifetime. For more information about the New York Region, click https://www.onegoalgraduation.org/locations/new-york/
You believe – and your work has demonstrated your belief – that all students can earn a degree and the life that comes with it. As Senior Director of External Affairs, you will be responsible for setting vision, direction, and strategy for the New York Development Team in order to ensure financial sustainability for the region. You’re chiefly responsible for engaging the internal-facing development team and external- facing constituents (board and donor base) to meet and exceed our annual KPIs while maintaining a strong internal culture that fosters a high level of engagement that produces highly effective teams.
You will do this by:
- Setting Strategic Vision and Direction (30%):
- Building goals, strategies, and campaigns across foundation, corporate, individual and public funding streams
- Overseeing external communications, including regional marketing efforts
- Supporting the Executive Director to influence and motivate new and existing external constituents to invest in our work
- Managing and Growing New York’s portfolio of donors (30%):
- Designing equitable and innovative strategies to influence and motivate new and existing external constituents to invest in our work, at $2.3M in this fiscal year and growing steadily over the next few years
- Managing a portfolio of donors by reviewing and analyzing progress to goal, making strategic decisions to inform actions and campaigns, and executing on cultivation plans to drive towards revenue growth
- Build a pipeline of prospective investors by managing team effectively in the sourcing, prospecting and engagement of potential donors to build pipeline for FY24 and beyond
- Establishing systems and collaboration/learning structures to ensure we have a robust mechanism to track progress with donors, learn from one another, and maintain records with accessible, accurate and comprehensive information
- Relating to external stakeholders and telling our organizational story and impact in a compelling manner
- Serve as primary point person for all board committees and partner with Executive Director to see vision and content for meetings
- Coaching and Managing an Effective Team (20%):
- Effectively managing your team of development directors to make strategic decisions, track progress-to-goal (PTG), design aligned artifacts and materials, build successful external events, and effectively communicate our narrative in external/internal spaces
- Coach and develop team members to leverage strengths and grow in opportunity areas in order to deepen efficacy of the work and engage in regular career development conversations to ensure progress in direct reports’ professional aspirations
- Serving as a Member of the Regional Leadership Team (20%):
- Effectively builds strong relationships with New York team members and models for all staff what it means to be a culture leader, embody our core values, and remain committed to our DEI and Liberatory Consciousness work
- Serving with Executive Director and other regional Managing Directors as member of the New York Leadership Team to inform regional vision, priorities, and expectations for future fiscal years
The Senior Director of External Affairs is likely to see himself/herself/themselves in the following examples as they are designed to help you determine if this opportunity aligns with your own passion, purpose, skills, and experiences.
You are a strategist/synthesizer.
- You like to explore and build innovative approaches and have designed new ways of doing things. You make connections, determine fits, and build plans that are responsive to interlocking and evolving challenges and opportunities.
- Contingency planning and problem solving excite you, and working to streamline and improve systems gives you energy.
You are a leader and collaborator.
- You connect your success to the success of those you work with, and believe in both shared responsibility and mutual accountability.
- You believe that clear expectations and regular, honest feedback are the cornerstones of growth.
- As a manager, you believe in the inherent potential and capacity of people, and you seek to empower your team to become leaders and agents of change, to grow and thrive and to ultimately share in building OneGoal- New York.
- You are a strong coach and can work with direct reports to build upon their strengths and grow their skills and competencies.
You are a compelling and inspiring communicator and it is rooted in your beliefs.
- You’ve developed materials and talking points that have resulted in impact and building champions in your work. You have a unique ability to understand others’ perspectives and motivations and adjust your messages, approach and design based on your audience.
- You get energy from meeting others and they are inspired when they meet you. When you meet someone, you are able to understand what motivates them, communicate why our work matters, and connect their interests to investing in OneGoal.
- You are an exceptional communicator with experience winning people over. It’s energizing to “close the deal,” and you will not give up easily when you have identified someone who is a strong fit.
- Your written and verbal communication shines whether meant for a new intern or a founding Board member.
You believe in people and the promise of humanity and are committed to equity and inclusion
- You believe in an inclusive and culturally competent society and the essence of our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- You seek to understand and celebrate the unique identities of the individuals with whom you interact; you advocate for and elevate the voices of marginalized people and communities especially those from which our Fellows come; you integrate your knowledge, skills and mindsets related to diversity and inclusion into every aspect of the work.
- You continuously build your understanding of privilege and oppression especially within the context of our country, education system, and college divide.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Required)
- 5-7 years development experience (Required)
- Previous experience managing teams (Preferred)
- Demonstrated experience managing fundraising targets of $2M and above (Highly Preferred)
- Understanding of the New York philanthropic and education landscape (Preferred)
- Willingness to travel to external stakeholders across New York (as safety permits
Guided by a clear set of core values and beliefs, you will join an impressive group of more than 150 OneGoal staff across the country who believe in the untapped potential within students. The OneGoal team challenges themselves and others to regularly ask, “Is there a better way?”
The Tangible Good
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package* which includes medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability, life insurance, retirement matching, paid parental leave, and more. We also offer a generous paid time off policy, including 20 paid vacation days, holidays and 9 wellness days (flexible sick time).
*OneGoal reserves the right to change benefits at any time according to business need.
You believe in people and the promise of humanity and are committed to equity and inclusion
You believe in an inclusive and culturally competent society and the essence of our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe that in order to create the change we seek, each person we hire brings a remarkable and diverse set of experiences, skills and characteristics that individually and collectively, will contribute to the radical change needed to move us towards a more equitable and just nation
Throw Your Hat in the Ring. Please click here to complete an application, which includes attaching an updated resume. This search is being led by Imagine Consulting, a talent and recruitment firm specializing in supporting nonprofit organizations in securing an equitable and antiracist future for our world. Interested candidates must complete an application. If you have questions or need support completing the application, please reach out to the team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to submit an application or to participate in the application or interview process, please reach out to our Human Assets Team to request an accommodation. Our Human Assets Team can be contacted at 773-321-2630 or HumanAssets@onegoalgraduation.org.
OneGoal is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of actual or perceived sex, race, color, ancestry, citizenship, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, disability (mental or physical), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical condition, parenthood, genetic characteristic or information, military or veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law.