Position: Development Director
Position Type: Internal-External
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Reports to: Alex Dailey – Executive Director, Houston
Start Date: November 2023
Location: Houston, TX
Priority Deadline: October 1, 2023
Salary Range: $87,000-$91,700 is the hiring salary range (i.e. the range a candidate would be offered to start).
OneGoal transforms postsecondary advising and support so that every student can define their own future. Together with our partners, we’re building a movement to close the opportunity gap. We work side-by-side with partner schools and districts to build their knowledge and capacity. The result is more equitable and effective support for all students. Our unique approach, honed over 15 years, prioritizes strong human relationships. And it’s proven to deliver real student impact. 82% of OneGoal high school graduates enroll in a postsecondary institution, and 73% of those who enroll persist one year after high school. An independent study by the University of Chicago found that OneGoal students are about 40% more likely to earn their postsecondary degrees than students from similar backgrounds. We are looking for individuals to join us in our pursuit of equity.
You believe – and your work has demonstrated your belief – that all students can earn a degree and the life that comes with it. As Development Director, you, alongside the Executive Director, will be responsible for setting vision, direction, and strategy for the Houston Development Team. You’re chiefly responsible for engaging the internal-facing development team and external- facing constituents (board, donors, and prospects) to meet and exceed our annual Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) while maintaining a strong internal culture that fosters a high level of engagement and produces highly effective teams.
You will do this by:
Setting Strategic Vision and Direction (35%):
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, build mid-range goals, strategies, and campaigns across foundation, corporate, individual and public funding stream
- In partnership with the Houston Leadership Team, design equitable, innovative strategies to influence and motivate new and existing external constituents to invest in our work, raising $2.3M.
- Use Houston landscape data (donor market, post secondary landscape, education landscape, economic, philanthropic market in HOU) to inform vision and direction to meet all development KPIs and lead your team.
External Affairs and Communications (30%):
- Provide direct support to the Executive Director to set board vision and engagement strategies and manage communication including:
- Impact reports
- Monthly board updates
- Board and Individual Board Member Scorecards
- Consistently and effectively track and communicate our progress to goal internally, organizationally, and externally through multiple mediums
Coaching and Managing an Effective Team (35%):
- Effectively managing your team of 2 direct reports to make strategic decisions, track progress-to-goal (PTG), design aligned artifacts and materials, build successful external events, and effectively communicate our narrative in external/internal spaces
- Coach and develop team members to leverage strengths and grow in opportunity areas in order to deepen efficacy of the work and engage in regular career development conversations to ensure progress in direct reports’ professional aspirations
The Development Director is likely to see himself/herself/themselves in the following examples as they are designed to help you determine if this opportunity aligns with your own passion, purpose, skills, and experiences.
You are a strategist/synthesizer.
- You like to explore and build innovative approaches and have designed new ways of doing things. You make connections, determine fits, and build plans that are responsive to interlocking and evolving challenges and opportunities.
- Contingency planning and problem solving excite you, and working to streamline and improve systems gives you energy.
You are a leader and collaborator.
- You connect your success to the success of those you work with, and believe in both shared responsibility and mutual accountability.
- You believe that clear expectations and regular, honest feedback are the cornerstones of growth.
- As a manager, you believe in the inherent potential and capacity of people, and you seek to empower your team to become leaders and agents of change, to grow and thrive and to ultimately share in building OneGoal- New York.
- You are a strong coach and can work with direct reports to build upon their strengths and grow their skills and competencies.
You are a compelling and inspiring communicator and it is rooted in your beliefs.
- You’ve developed materials and talking points that have resulted in impact and building champions in your work. You have a unique ability to understand others’ perspectives and motivations and adjust your messages, approach and design based on your audience.
- You get energy from meeting others and they are inspired when they meet you. When you meet someone, you are able to understand what motivates them, communicate why our work matters, and connect their interests to investing in OneGoal.
- You are an exceptional communicator with experience winning people over. It’s energizing to “close the deal,” and you will not give up easily when you have identified someone who is a strong fit.
- Your written and verbal communication shines whether meant for a new intern or a founding Board member.
You believe in people and the promise of humanity and are committed to equity and inclusion
- You believe in an inclusive and culturally competent society and the essence of our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- You seek to understand and celebrate the unique identities of the individuals with whom you interact; you advocate for and elevate the voices of marginalized people and communities especially those from which our Fellows come; you integrate your knowledge, skills and mindsets related to diversity and inclusion into every aspect of the work.
- You continuously build your understanding of privilege and oppression especially within the context of our country, education system, and college divide.
- Previous development experience (Required)
- Previous experience managing teams (Preferred)
- Demonstrated experience managing fundraising targets of $2M and above (Highly Preferred)
- Understanding of the Houston philanthropic and/or education landscape (Preferred)
- Ability to travel across Houston and the surrounding area; applicants should have access to a vehicle. (Required)
This position requires that the employee be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 on or before the start date. Consistent with applicable laws, OneGoal will provide reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified employees and prospective employees with a disability (as defined by applicable law) or sincerely-held religious beliefs, provided that such accommodation would not result in an undue hardship on OneGoal.
Thinking Of Applying?
Research shows that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. If you are excited about the role and see connection with what we are looking for, but don’t meet every single requirement, we’d encourage you to apply anyway. Please click “Apply For This Job Now” below to complete an application.
Guided by a clear set of core values and beliefs, you will join an impressive group of more than 200 OneGoal staff across the country who believe in the untapped potential within students. The OneGoal team challenges themselves and others to regularly ask, “Is there a better way?” You believe in an inclusive and culturally competent society and the essence of our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe that in order to create the change we seek, each person we hire brings a remarkable and diverse set of experiences, skills and characteristics that individually and collectively, will contribute to the radical change needed to move us towards a more equitable and just nation.
The Tangible Good
OneGoal offers competitive compensation based on the market for nonprofits our size. Our benefits package* includes: over eight weeks of paid time off (or 43 business days), between vacation days, wellness time, and holidays; paid medical or parental leaves should you have need; medical, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability, and life insurance; as well as a 401(k) with a 3% match.
We believe in compensating staff members fairly in relation to each other, their qualifications, and their impact on behalf of the organization, and take internal and external equity seriously. Given our commitment to equity, OneGoal does not negotiate salary offers; instead each salary offer is determined carefully using external and internal benchmarking. You will have an opportunity to discuss salary in more detail after you begin the hiring process.
*OneGoal reserves the right to change benefits at any time according to business needs.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to submit an application or to participate in the application or interview process, please reach out to our Human Assets Team to request an accommodation. Our Human Assets Team can be contacted at 773-321-2630 or HumanAssets@onegoalgraduation.org.
OneGoal is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of actual or perceived sex, race, color, ancestry, citizenship, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, disability (mental or physical), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical condition, parenthood, genetic characteristic or information, military or veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law.