Position: Senior Director, Growth and Sales, OneGoal- Houston
Position Type: Internal-External
Reports to: Angela Wedlick, Regional VP
Location: Houston, TX
Desired Start Date: October 2022
Salary Range: $86,000-$87,800 is the hiring salary range (i.e. the range a candidate would be offered to start
Despite decades of work and millions of dollars invested, the degree divide continues to be one of our nation’s most complex and critical injustices, with deep roots in systems of oppression and racism. Only 22% of students from low-income communities earn a college degree, compared to 67% of their peers from high-income areas.
COVID-19 further exposed and exacerbated inequity, with communities of color and those in low-income areas impacted at disproportionately high rates. We are looking for individuals to join us in our fight for equity during this extremely critical time.
- OneGoal has grown from a small afterschool program serving just 32 students in Chicago to a nationwide movement that is serving some 12,500 students in six communities.
- Our model, honed over 14 years, has three core differentiators: A rigorous, culturally relevant content and experience, cohorts of students who can support each other over the course of three years, and a teacher who supports our most vulnerable students’ long-term ambitions.
- 88% of OneGoal high school graduates enroll in a postsecondary institution and 79% of those who enroll persist one year after high school.
Only 12% of students in Houston from low-income communities earn a college degree, compared to 86% of their peers from high-income areas. At OneGoal, we believe that all students – not just those with the best grades or the most resources – have the ability and deserve the opportunity to earn a postsecondary degree. What’s more, we have developed a solution that works, and we believe this problem is solvable within our lifetime. For more information about the Houston Region, click here.
As OneGoal- Houston Senior Director of Growth and Sales, your mission is to develop the vision, strategy, systems and relationships to ensure OneGoal Houston retains and acquires new partners in local (Harris County and/or contiguous counties) secondary schools ad districts and support the Regional Vice President in work to build a statewide growth strategy, footprint and intial partnership planning. Additionally, you will lead on producing and executing all OneGoal regional sales work including pitch materials, partnership meetings, MOUs, fee-for-service collection etc.
You will do this by:
- Defining our region’s long-term growth and sales strategy, rooted in a robust understanding of the local and statewide education landscape, and building the systems, structures, and communications materials needed to execute that strategy.
- Directly engaging with district and school partners (secondary) in ways that successfully convert them into long-term clients and partners.
- Collaborating with the Houston leadership team in constantly refining and evolving the programmatic and partnership approach including identifying new revenue streams.
- Work alsong side our Regional VP to develop and execute a go-to market strategy that drives our transition to a statewide market with new product offerings.
Concretely, this role is about ensuring that OneGoal- Houston can meet its ambitious growth and scale goals over the next two years and beyond.
The Work You Will Do
Set Vision and Direction for Growth and Sales Strategy (35%)
- Drive the development of the overall growth and sales strategy, bringing in 1-2 new partners and 3-4 new schools over each of the next two years.
- Define and articulate OneGoal’s unique value proposition in Houston for secondary markets by leveraging an ever-growing understanding of the national and local postsecondary landscape.
- Monitor growth and retention strategies against real-time Sales Pipeline data to make necessary adjustments
- Develop materials, collateral and marketing approach that support our overall growth strategy (decks, one pagers, brochures, school newsletters, marketing campaigns, etc)
Sales and Project Management (35%)
- Identify, develop and execute on projects and experiences that support sales, marketing, partnership and fee-for-service outcomes. (i.e. conference attendance and presentations, local brand awareness at campuses, ongoing communication andoutreach etc.)
- Build and use timelines, invest the team and monitor progress to goal with projects you are leading and participating in with your team.
- Create and execute project plans for all internal and external engagement opportunities that you lead, including effective ongoing internal and external stakeholder communications
Engage Prospects and Convert to Clients (30%)
- Engage directly with district and school prospects and partners to establish brand awareness, understanding of program, investment in approach, and partnership launch
- Engage directly with district and school prospects to retain partners at 85%+ rate
- Operate with a strong customer service orientation; genuinely leveraging customer experience and insights to improve programmatic and partnership approach
- Build district and school partners as net promoters and vocal champions
The Senior Director of Growth and Sales is likely to see themselves in the following examples, as they are designed to help you determine if this opportunity aligns with your own passion, purpose, skills, and experiences.
You are a strategist and are comfortable navigating ambiguity.
- You are driven by solving complex challenges at both the group and individual level, using both data and experience.
- You like to build innovative approaches and models. You make connections, determine fits, and build plans that are responsive to interlocking and evolving challenges and opportunities.
- Contingency planning and problem solving excite you, and working to streamline and improve systems gives you energy.
- You acknowledge the role bias and privilege play in analysis and seek to mitigate this in your practice.
Execution is your wheelhouse.
- You get things done. People know you as someone they can depend on to come through for them. You are trusted by your colleagues because you follow through on your commitments and you circle back and close the loop on communication cycles.
- You’ve demonstrated the ability to work diligently towards your goals and can comfortably pivot and try new strategies when challenges arise or priorities shift.
- Even though you are highly effective at executing, you don’t go at it alone. You know that collaboration and teamwork is key to innovation and you are comfortable investing people in a project and leading a project team towards a rigorous execution of your plan.
You are a compelling and inspiring communicator and it is rooted in your beliefs.
- You’ve developed materials and talking points that have resulted in impact and building champions in your work. You have a unique ability to understand others’ perspectives and motivations and adjust your messages, approach and design based on your audience.
- You get energy from meeting others and they are inspired when they meet you. When you meet someone, you are able to understand what motivates them, communicate why our work matters, and connect their interests to investing in OneGoal.
- You are an exceptional communicator with experience winning people over. It’s energizing to “close the deal,” and you will not give up easily when you have identified someone who is a strong fit.
- Your written and verbal communication shines whether meant for a new intern or a founding Board member.
You hold and act on a deep conviction that the degree divide is one of our nation’s most critical injustices, with deep roots in systems of oppression and racism.
- You believe that our Fellows face real, systemic challenges that hinder their ability to achieve their greatest postsecondary aspirations.
- You believe in an inclusive and culturally competent society and will actively live out our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- You seek to understand and celebrate the unique identities of the individuals with whom you interact; you advocate for and elevate the voices of marginalized people and communities especially those from which our Fellows come.
- You act on the belief that there are multiple perspectives on the world and understand that a person’s worldview reflects her/his/their own location in the social order relative to such factors as race/ ethnicity, class, and gender. You continuously build our understanding of privilege and oppression especially within the context of our country, education system, and college divide.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Required)
- Lived experience of the Fellows we serve (Preferred)
- 3+ years of experience in education partnership/sales. Knowledge of the K-12 space with direct experience selling a program/product to schools (Highly Preferred)
- Knowledge of Houston and Texas secondary/postsecondary landscape (Highly Preferred)
- Ability to travel across Houston and the surrounding area
Guided by a clear set of core values and beliefs, you will join an impressive group of more than 150 OneGoal staff across the country who believe in the untapped potential within students. The OneGoal team challenges themselves and others to regularly ask, “Is there a better way?”
The Tangible Good
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package* which includes medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability, life insurance, retirement matching, paid parental leave, and more. We also offer a generous paid time off policy, including 20 paid vacation days, holidays and 6 wellness days (flexible sick time).
*OneGoal reserves the right to change benefits at anytime according to business need.
You believe in people and the promise of humanity and are committed to equity and inclusion
You believe in an inclusive and culturally competent society and the essence of our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe that in order to create the change we seek, each person we hire brings a remarkable and diverse set of experiences, skills and characteristics that individually and collectively, will contribute to the radical change needed to move us towards a more equitable and just nation.
Throw Your Hat in the Ring. Please use the “Apply For This Job Now” link at the bottom of this page to complete an application, which includes attaching an updated resume and cover letter explaining your passion and alignment to this position.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to submit an application or to participate in the application or interview process, please reach out to our Human Assets Team to request an accommodation. Our Human Assets Team can be contacted at 773-321-2630 or HumanAssets@onegoalgraduation.org.
OneGoal is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of actual or perceived sex, race, color, ancestry, citizenship, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, disability (mental or physical), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical condition, parenthood, genetic characteristic or information, military or veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law.